Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #41 
dramaqueen
Banned

Tsuhei, I understand where you're coming from. Kids drive me nuts!! Not the ones on here. lol OK, maybe some. lol I was at the store the other day with my mom and a kid about 9 or 10 almost ran into my mom. My mom had back surgery 6 months ago and isn't real steady on her feet. This kid could have knocked her down! I said, loud enough for them to hear me, why are we running in the store! I believe kids as young as one or two years of age can learn to be gentle with animals. I also understand why you didn't want to get involved. People are so sue happy these days, they could have accused you of abuse or harrassment or whatever. Another one of my pet peeves is kids in restaurants. Parents let their kids run around instead of making them sit. I think an 11 or 12 year old should know better than to pick up a cup with a fish in it and shake it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #42 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Something that I do, even if it may not be the right thing, is rescue bettas so that none of them die alone in the back of a shelf or being shaken until their eyes fall off and they start bleeding like the poor fish on this thread :'( Even if you don't have the money to buy all of the bettas, if one of them that you bought dies, you can return the same body again and again for more betta fish, for free. :) You could keep the body in a freezer, and I doubt anyone at walmart knows enough about bettas to think it is a different fish.
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #43 
Pitluvs

I would have had NO PROBLEM telling those kids not to shake the cups, I would have had a talk to them as well. I have had parents approach me after speaking to a child, and I tell them "What your child was doing was dangerous (to them or others) and no one was around. What kind of person would I be if I just let them get hurt?" and most parents say thank you. Like the kids up the street who were running in front of cars. I stopped that and had a parent knock on my door and walked away pretty upset with their kids. But when it comes to pets, I will tell any kid what they are doing is wrong and explain to them why. If that fails, I'd just grab the fish and tell the kids to take a hike and spend 2 hours at the fish dept.

Sorry the little guy didn't make it, those kids will eventually understand what they did. I just hope they remember this boy when they do :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #44 
cajunamy
Banned

What the kids in the store did was wrong, that is very obvious.

Bettas are to an extent, intelligent and curious creatures.

And it is VERY obvious to me that most of you participating in this thread don't have children.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #45 
Arashi Takamine

Um...This thread was dead...
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #46 
MissRockyHorror

What Brats!! Poor fishie :'( I would have had a strong word with those kids parents about not letting their children run rampant and do that to living things :( Poor guy
MissRockyHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #47 
cajunamy
Banned

buwhahaha I assumed it was live cause the posts above me were recent.

funny thing though, I was in petsmart yesterday buying a 55 tank and stand to divide, and this mom with 2 kids was talking to an employee. I was waiting around for the guy to come with the trolly for my tank and stand, and the 2 young kids (about 5-6ish) were looking at bettas that were with the crickets (no idea on that one lol) well I was watching them otu the corner of my eye with this thread fresh on my mind .... the girl accidently knocked it over and looked at me (so I think not accidental) saw me looking and put it upright. Now, I'm hard to ignore cause I have bright teal blue hair lol.

So the girl starts shaking the cup (not violently but still!) and I looked right at her and told her to gently 'don't do that, you can hurt him!' and she and her brother put him down and walked away. Mom wasn't really paying attention to where they were (they were in her range, but she was busy talking to someone, happens to all parents) so I just gently corrected the child since Mom wasn't watching. I heard no response but if I had I would have continued (not argue but inform)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote