Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #1 
serenarenee

Planted 2 gallon update with pictures!

Okay... So... little Pascal, the crowntail, died the same night I bought him.
I have come to believe that there is something about my tap water that is harmful to my bettas... which is not removed by conditioner.

So I scrubbed the tank out with spring water, rinsed the gravel, and tried again. I added two amazon swords because the Ludwiga kicked the bucket... I needed more algae fighters, and I loved the beautiful round leaves.

I have had success pruning the plants weekly to keep them short. (they grow very large when left alone.) Pascal II loves them.
The Java fern is growing new ferns on it's leaves...

I had to remove the castle as this betta thinks its funny to shove himself through the tiny door and swim in circles inside. He lost two scales doing this, and was game for losing more. (dork).

I took the filter out (it has carbon) as I am treating him for fin rot. He has had fin rot since the day I bought him and it hasn't gotten better with aquarium salt and water changes. (plus he's now missing two scales).
He swims around like a maniac and I was barely able to get any pictures at all.

Again.. I apologize for the large pictures!
Attached Images

serenarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #2 
leaveittoweaver

Have you tried testing your water at all? Perhaps somethings off.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #3 
bettablue

what dechlorinator do you use? Maybe it has expired?
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 
serenarenee

I never thought to check the expiration date, but I only bought it two months ago... Everything tests fine, no ammonia low nitrates and nitrites, high hardness (partly because I use 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt to prevent fungus.) and partly because I just have very hard water where I live. I assume that's what it is. Spring water takes care of the problem somehow.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Aw I'm sorry about your crowntail. :[ I hope you can find out what's going on with your water.

I LOVE your new boy though! <3 That blue looks FABULOUS against all the green tones and the golden/earthy gravel! <3

Aw! D:Shame about that castle. :[ I really wanted the same one for Firedrake or Genie. :[

So what happened to your guppies? =]

Also I think you asked about it in your other thread but I misplaced it and never replied:
I just got the Tetra Whisper 3i filter and it's great! =] it's really quiet! =] It comes with an air pump too! =] the media isn't all that great for biological purposes but I'm gonna stuff it with sponge and a pair of pantyhose or cheesecloth with some carbon in it instead o the current media to beef things up a bit. =] I think you'd love it! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #6 
rogue619

If those are real sea shells in there, they should be taken out.
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #7 
MoePaac

rogue619, can you provide a little explanation for your reasoning? In past threads the discussion has been had on whether sea shells are safe for the aquarium or not. Many use them in their tanks and have not noticed differences in the water parameters. If they are cleaned really well, they seem to have little effect on the water (unless the tank was just crammed with shells).

Some argue that if they are from salt water they will continue to leak salt or other organic matter. Again, cleaning and possibly boiling seems to do the trick.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #8 
serenarenee

Hm.
Well. The shells are real but they are from a friends betta tank... they are four years old at least and she never had any problems with them. I boiled them when I got them, and my readings didn't change... but I can see how they might possibly leak minerals and such.
Maybe I'll seal them with aquarium silicone. Has anyone else ever done anything like that?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #9 
serenarenee

I know. I liked the crowntail but this one really is prettier. And he has a dorky, crazy personality.
... neither of the other two bettas EVER attempted to go into the castle. They would sit there looking through the door with one eye and then leave. So it might still work for you... I might also glue a stone against the door on the inside so he can't get in... or just grind around the door to make it bigger. Don't know yet...

This one went to it immediately, stuck his head in, and then vigorously wiggled his body through. I saw him swimming around and around in circles in there... and then he popped out. Did it again the very next day.
Some bettas are just crazier than others I guess.

The guppies went to a friend of mine with a bigger tank. I was sad to let them go but I missed the quirks bettas have. One day I hope to have the money for more tanks. =p

Tetra whisper... good to know it works! Thanks! I will keep it in mind. Man... there are so many temptations in this hobby.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #10 
Capricorn

As a side note, you should only use AQ salt when treating something, and only for 10 days at most... bettas are freshwater fish and will thrive on freshwater.

I would invest in Prime conditioner, you only need a drop per gallon and it deals with everything.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote