Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 
Creat

Unhappy Is my male to young?

I have been having problems with breeding my new male HM to my HM/CT female. The female is the one I want to breed, she is the last one left alive out of an old spawn due to a number of moves and many disease outbreaks. She is about a year old and never grew past 1.5 inches even with clean water and live food. I finally found a male a little over 1.5 inches and close enough to what I was looking for to breed her too. The breeding went almost well. I introduced the female to the male in the breeding tank and he went about flaring and building a nest. She displayed back and grew dark spots and filled up with eggs. I let her out after 2 days and she spent the next three running form the male. He soon figured out what to do and started luring her back to the nest. It took him about a day to figure out how to squeeze her and even then he only got about 3 eggs out each try. I ended up seeing about only 50 eggs go into the nest and then the next day they all disappeared. Then today there is only about 5 fry sitting in the nest. His stomach also always looks full so I think he might be eating them. Should I wait till he is a little older and try again with the same female? Or look for another small male?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Just wait...there's probably more fry than you think.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

i agree M.R. Vamp. just wait a few more days and you'll see the fry:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #4 
Creat

yeah i'll definitely wait a few more days before I do anything else he seems to be guarding the nest some of the time...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

I agree with Mr Vampire that there are almost always more fry than you think!
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #6 
Creat

lol i certainly learned that one once with an unexpected breeding once when I moved a bunch of females together with a male and the next day had a bunch of eggs. The fry never seemed to stop showing up with that one.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IDK why, but lately I've had males that doesn't want a large spawn. The theory that says they cull unhealthy fry doesn't quite fit to it. You see when I artificially hatched them, I came up with tons of healthy fry. So I just conclude that they don't want to worry about so many fry.

Back to your new HM male; if you suspect him of eating his fry, take him out regardless whether the fry are free swimming or not. DO NOT spawn him anytime soon. Rest him for at least 2 - 3 weeks (longer is better). DO NOT spawn him in a small tank. Use 10g or larger. Constantly cover half of the tank (where the nest is) to make him feel .... safe(?).... do not disturb him during the whole process (no picture taking, (if possible) no peaking, etc).

There is no guarantee that he won't eat the eggs/fry again. But at least you'll be removing some reasons (theoretically) for such behavior. If he still eats them, then you'll have to remove him as soon as he is done spawning, either leave the eggs and hope for the best or artificially hatch them. Or simply use a different male.

Good Luck
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #8 
BettaGirl290

Question

Just a question, can you spawn a female with a male, then switch males to take care of the nest? just wondering.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #9 
DormDrax

*Chuckles*

Oh Lord... speaking of Breeding my friend who got a Female (from the Dorm Betta Giveaway I mentioned) and she keeps begging me to breed her with Drax. I think her Female is just a baby though! Less than an inch long. Haha and since I just got Drax in the new tank how long should I wait till I finally give into my friends new Obsession with wanting to have our fish mate
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

BG: Theoretically speaking, you can move the eggs of one spawn to another spawning male (foster male). But they would have to spawn at about the same time. IMO, one batch of fry is sometimes very exhausting for the male, let alone 2. Some people remove the original eggs.

DD: I would wait til the female is at least 3 - 3.5 cm. She should be old enough by then.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote