Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #11 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
*Chuckles*

Oh Lord... speaking of Breeding my friend who got a Female (from the Dorm Betta Giveaway I mentioned) and she keeps begging me to breed her with Drax. I think her Female is just a baby though! Less than an inch long. Haha and since I just got Drax in the new tank how long should I wait till I finally give into my friends new Obsession with wanting to have our fish mate
I wouldn't breed them, it's very hard to find good homes for 50 to 100 pet store bettas... Unfortunately, our beloved pet store bettas are considered "mutts" :/ It would be like taking dogs from the pound and breeding them and trying to sell/give away the puppies... It's difficult to do. You'd also be putting a lot of time and money into fish that would sell for nothing and would just end up rotting away on pet store shelves... :( Breeding bettas takes up a good bit of money with the food and tanks and all....

Breeding pet store bettas is just not a sound decision financially or ethically if you don't have a bunch of people that want the babies as pets :/

But hey, if you want to spend all the money and time, and find a bunch of people to adopt them, you could do it.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #12 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
BG: Theoretically speaking, you can move the eggs of one spawn to another spawning male (foster male). But they would have to spawn at about the same time. IMO, one batch of fry is sometimes very exhausting for the male, let alone 2. Some people remove the original eggs.

DD: I would wait til the female is at least 3 - 3.5 cm. She should be old enough by then.
I'll have to ask her to measure her fish... when I first saw her female I joked that Drax would just eat her haha. Couldn't have been more than a month old.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #13 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I wouldn't breed them, it's very hard to find good homes for 50 to 100 pet store bettas... Unfortunately, our beloved pet store bettas are considered "mutts" :/ It would be like taking dogs from the pound and breeding them and trying to sell/give away the puppies... It's difficult to do. You'd also be putting a lot of time and money into fish that would sell for nothing and would just end up rotting away on pet store shelves... :( Breeding bettas takes up a good bit of money with the food and tanks and all....

Breeding pet store bettas is just not a sound decision financially or ethically if you don't have a bunch of people that want the babies as pets :/

But hey, if you want to spend all the money and time, and find a bunch of people to adopt them, you could do it.
Tell that to my friend who almost on a daily basis goes... "I want our fish to have sex!"
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #14 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Tell that to my friend who almost on a daily basis goes... "I want our fish to have sex!"
LOL, crazy friend, I have one just like that actually
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #15 
Creat

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
If he still eats them, then you'll have to remove him as soon as he is done spawning, either leave the eggs and hope for the best or artificially hatch them.k
Whats your guys best method for artificially hatching? I tried it once and ended up with only 10 grown fry at the end. I put them in a container with less then 3 inches of water and an airstone to keep em moving toward the surface if they fell. And once they became free swimming just continued on like normal.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think breeding fish just so they can have sex is a good reason to breed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Whats your guys best method for artificially hatching? I tried it once and ended up with only 10 grown fry at the end. I put them in a container with less then 3 inches of water and an airstone to keep em moving toward the surface if they fell. And once they became free swimming just continued on like normal.
I only use a small plastic bowl (from a cereal - diameter about 10 cm ) with no air stone. Fill it with about 2 - 3 cm water. I move the eggs with a spoon and try to spread them as best I could (the eggs should float but don't worry about the ones that sink).

I float the bowl in a warmer tank, cover the tank where the bowl is (or you could cover the bowl only if it doesn't tilt). in a day or two, they should hatch. Some eggs will fungus and must be removed because newly hatched fry might get caught in them and IMO bad eggs will foul up the water (be extra careful because you will pick up fry along with bad eggs - I usually remove bad eggs to another bowl first then when 100% certain there's no fry, I throw away the eggs). You might not get all the bad eggs at once (at least I don't) because some may not fungus enough to be lifted (I use toothpicks - but you can use tweezers).

Then I add about another inch of water. If the fry are gathered in one area, I would remove some water before adding to reduce toxic substances such as ammonia that may build up due to rotting eggs. Then I re-float and cover and wait till they become free swimming. And finally they are acclimated into the grow out tank.

My worst hatch is about 60% and my best is about 90%. IMO it depends on whether the eggs were good/bad in the first place and how bad fungus grows on bad eggs which will affect good eggs (that's why I spread the eggs all over the bowl).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I basically artificial hatch the same way as Indjo except I use an eye dropper to remove fungus eggs and I add a small ramshorn or pond snail at the 24 hour mark to help with removal of bad eggs, weak fry...I also have water lettuce in the container-it is usually what the male has built his nest under to start but I will add fresh in my container as well-I also like to use plastic veggie wrap over the top along with the lid and use tape to attach the container inside a heated tank so it doesn't sink
Once free swimming I feed live foods-then I empty half the water out and add fresh at least twice a day until they are 7-10 days old and then I release them after proper acclimation into the grow out tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #19 
BettaGirl290

Well, im shooting for a purple betta to come out from a spawn..... need to get a blue female. (that isnt attached right now.) (Sushi.)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl290 View Post
Well, im shooting for a purple betta to come out from a spawn..... need to get a blue female. (that isnt attached right now.) (Sushi.)
Purples are hard to get..I have a purple pair but if only they would spawn XP
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote