Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #1 
leonelqzd

5G tank looking for help

hey im new here and new to taking care of bettas.I have had bettas before but i never knew they really needed more then just a little tank.since then i have been reading up everywhere about them and it led me to here.

today i moved them from 1/2 gallon tanks to a 5.5 gallon tank with a home made divider :] i don't know how to put text near pictures yet so the pictures in order are

1.luna my female crowntail givin and named by my girlfriend
2.spartikus red veiltail also named by my girlfriend which i got from monsterpets he has fin rot right now how do i help with this?
3.is there new home bland as ever i want to add live plants but i dont know where to start
4 and 5 are them in the 5 gal tank

also the filter is to strong for either fish i put in in right side i stopped the water fall thing with a bottle and a rubber band and stuffed the intake with sponge but it still seems to be a little strong for her i dont know how to weaken it down a bit more.

1 last thing my friend put his fish in a fight with someone elses and a bit of his fishes tail got ripped off afterwards he takes the bit of floating tail and puts it in with spartikus and he ate it! is that ok?
Attached Images

leonelqzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #2 
leonelqzd

sorry for the pictures being so big i dont know how to scale them down and they were taken on and ipod so sorry for the crap quality too.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #3 
Malvolti

First, making 2 Betta fight is a terrible thing. It is considered animal abuse, just like making two dogs fight each other. Then feeding the bits of his betta to yours is even worse. If I were you I'd not be friends with that person very long.

Now that I have that out it's good you're looking up proper Betta care. Your fish won't get sick from eating a bit of tail, they have been known to eat their own tails from time to time (usually out of stress).

Fin rot can be treated with daily 50% water changes and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Stop the salt after 10 days. If it doesn't get better then you can try Maracyn and Maracy 2 or another antibiotic/anti-fungal that says it treats fin rot.

The best place to start with planted tanks is Java ferns, Java moss, Anacharis or Marimo. They are low care plants perfect for a beginner.

I don't know what else you can do for the filter. Maybe get a smaller one or one that has an adjustable flow.

I can't tell if there is a heater in the tank. If not it is highly recommended. Betta are tropical fish and need their water to be kept between 75 and 80 degrees farenheit.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-06-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #4 
MoePaac

I would also looking into getting some plants and a cave for each side of the divider. This gives a chance for each fish to get out of the line of sight of the other. Something as easy as an overturned (clean) coffee mug will work as a cave. I'd try and get something like that as soon as possible so the fish don't become even more stressed from the constant exposure to each other.

The water looks a little cloudy. I would do a couple of 50% water changes to help clear up the water. Make sure you are using a good water treatment that rids the water of chlorine and chloramines, along with heavy metals. This is crucial. Since the tank is not cycled (established) I would do a 50% water change once a week and then one 100% water change once a week. If you would rather cycle your tank google "the nitrogen cycle in aquariums." You'll get a lot of information on how to properly cycle a tank.

I would also look into getting a heater if you do not already have one. Betta's are tropical fish and should be kept at a constant 78 degrees.

I'm glad you decided to upgrade them. This is a good start, I would just work on completing the tank as soon as you can.

I'm sure you know this, but as far as the betta fighting, understand that such behavior will not be looked positively upon on this forum. I hope it was a one-time incident. I'd keep the water very clean with frequent water changes to help with the fin healing.

Also, don't hesitate to ask questions! Your set up looks like it has a lot of potential, just need to fill in the gaps!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #5 
leonelqzd

i hate the idea of making two animals fight for the fun of it too i was cursing at him the whole time i wouldnt like chunks of my long hair ripped out of my scalp so i wouldnt never do that to them.my dad got a extra expensive filter that says it removes all that so ill use that for the water changes.

all that stupid cloudy stuff floating around is from the rocks i used in the tank i wash and wash them but it wont get any cleaner i dont even like them since i dont think theyll make a good foundation for the plants do they look good to you guys?

i dont have a heater yet and ive read that they need to be in water around 76-80 degrees so i cranked up the heat in the house to 78 in hopes it will help till i can afford one its hard to get a job in philly -.- im broke as hell i actually got everything but my male for free. i have seen aquarium salt at petsmart ill make sure to get it
Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #6 
leonelqzd

Ooohh and i decided ill turn the filter off at night so i wont be worried about her getting sucked in while she sleeps
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #7 
Malvolti

Heaters aren't terribly expensive, you'll want a 25 or 50 watt heater which should be about $20.

Household water filters aren't always good. If it uses a system called Ion Exchange it actually makes the water more toxic for fish and they still don't remove all the chlorine, chloromine and other chemicals that can hurt fish. If you don't know what it uses ask your dad or google the company. If that doesn't work just avoid it.

You should be able to find a water conditioner called Prime at your local pet shop. It's made my a company call Seachem and sells for about $5 for a small bottle. Prime is one of the best and most innexpensive conditioners around since you only need to use 2 drops per gallon. But really any water conditioner should do.

Basic aquarium gravel is okay for basic plants like java ferns, marimo (which don't need gravel) or anacharis (which also doesn't always need gravel).

Your fish probably won't get sucked into the filter at night unless she has a problem with it during the day. If she does you do need to get a weaker filter.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #8 
Alex09

1. ALWAYS use water conditioner.

2. A filter is not the equivalent of a toilet. It is in no way a substitute for water changes. My 10 gallon has a filter that can treat tanks up to 20 gal in size. I still do a 25-50% Weekly water change. The job of the filter is not so much to suck up poo, but to house a bacteria that turns your fish poo less toxic. It makes it LESS toxic but its still toxic; hence the water changes. If you turn off the filter at night then you might as well not use one. By turning off the filter for long periods of time, you kill of the bacteria.

3. To reduce current rubberband the filter output with a sponge like so. It works like a charm. In the pic you can see that the surface of the water is hardly disturbed.

4. Good starting plants would be anubias and java fern. They are hardy, undemanding, and dont need any special requirements.

Last edited by Alex09; 12-06-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #9 
leonelqzd

i have a water conditioner that i just ran out of adding it to the tank today the bottle said a cap full for every 1/2 gallon ill stick to leaving the water in a gallon for 24-48 hours till i can look up the info on the filter and get more conditioner i think i can get the heater pretty quickly the plants can come later.
Alex09 from the looks of it i have the exact same filter
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #10 
leonelqzd

umm i was wondering is it ok to put the little bamboo plants that people have for good luck into the tank?