Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 AM   #1 
nemo number2

Just touching base and posting updates.

Hi again folks.

My fish - Wanda - is going great.

I still don't know the sex, but it is blue and I have noticed that the tips/extremes are going a bit of a red colour.

As it is still swimming around I take it that isn't a problem.

I got the fish around 28 Dec in about 1 liter of water. Now it is in 4 litres - I posted a picture.

Now I know I am being a bit naughty, but I still haven't changed the water.

A couple of times I have "topped up" the level. About half a liter I think in total.

The water is still clear, though there is a bit of muck on the bottom and some around the base of the silk plant.

I try to feed it (sorry, but as I said, I don't know if Wanda is a he or she...) daily at about the same time - 18:00.

Though I was glad it is still alive after 5 days of no food. I went away.

I have a bit of a "routine" for feeding and I think Wanda is getting used to it.

I turn the pump off, then turn on the light.

The pump goes off, Wanda stops swimming - maybe because it isn't needed because the water stops being pushed - then when I turn on the light: ZOOM! to the top looking for food.

To help a bit, I use a small plastic spoon, so it can get in further. A couple of times, Wanda has nearly jumped out to either attack the spoon or ...... I don't know what.

It sort of surprised me. But it was nice to watch.

I shall try to get around to changing about 50% of the water soon.

I use water run off from the A/C which has fallen into a metal pan.
Do I need to worry about anything in the water? I know mossie babies are a good treat for the fish.
But what about other things to watch out for and avoid?
nemo number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #2 
cheekysquirrel

It is possible that the red is natural colouration. However, I believe fin rot can also be red.
I'm not sure about using the water run off from the A/C, but I do believe there are chemicals in the A/C.
I'm also a bit wary of the fact that you say you haven't changed the water. Just because the water is clear, doesn't mean it's OK. I myself am having a problem with ammonia at the moment, and the water looks perfect.
Have you tested your parameters?
You say that there is "muck" at the bottom. If you have a gravel vac/siphon, I would strongly suggest using it as soon as you can.
This is just some friendly advice, obviously, and as I am very new, you are of course welcome to take my advice with a grain of salt.
cheekysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #3 
Vergil

1. Have a gander at the tail types and color sticky so you also know what kind of betta you got - gender, tail type and even color/pattern: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868

2. Do your water changes diligently to avoid ammonia build up. I have living plants in my tanks to help with this so if you plant heavily you will change less water and less frequently as well.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758 is the staple guide most people use.

Try looking at the planted tank section as well.

3. Clean your tank. That's most likely fish poop or uneaten food bits. It will add to your ammonia and it's toxic to your fish.

4. Bettas don't eat everyday in the wild although try to plan ahead for your trips and arrange for a friend/relative to look after your fish.

5. Bettas can at least tell you're feeding them and will come to you expecting food. This is normal.

6. A/C water is basically condensed water. It should be safe but the inside of your A/C has rust, dirt, germs, and what-not. Also, if it's been stagnant for a while since you mentioned collecting it, it could be a breeding ground for bacteria and all sorts of microbes by now.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #4 
nemo number2

Thanks to you both.

It isn't that I want to be cruel to the poor thing. It is just the learning curve.

Included are some piccies.

I looked at the link for identifying the fish, but I am still unsure.

RE the water:
It is a small AC unit and I don't think there is any rust.

You will see the pan in the picture and the water.
For size, it is about 30 cm diameter.

Obviously I don't pick up any leaves or stuff when I am getting water.
But there is something like "slime" growing in/on the bottom of the pan.
Again: I don't collect any of that, but if it is floating, then I can't really stop it being collected.

With the posts, you have sort of made me paranoid now about even changing the water. Where do I put Wanda ITMT, how clean does the thing have to be, and all that stuff.

I have a liter of water in the kettle which has been boiled so I may use that.

Alas there is also getting to the tank, with the cables out the back, the water and weight.

Where it is now is not a good place to change the water and is moderately high to get to.

I have the "betta safe" stuff for use with tap water. If I am using the pre boiled water, do I or don't I need it?

All these things to know.

Oh the picture of Wanda:
Yeah, not the best.
It is hard to get it to stay still when I am taking the picture.
I also had the light off - yeah, silly me - and no flash.
Sorry.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #5 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Pretty positive Wanda is a dude...
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #6 
nemo number2

Drats. Oh well. The name stays alas.

Another question about their "activities".

He sometimes likes to play in the water coming out of the pump.
I guess it is like a massage.

Other times he is swimming about having "fun" - I'm guessing.

But sometimes he just lies there. I guess they don't have watches or the like, but I would have thought that they have "daily" routines too.

Sometimes he curls up around the bottom or in the leaves. I'm guessing catching a nap.

But - like most animals of which I can think - when I go to bed, I would think he sleeps.

But if I get up and walk past - DIM light allowing me to see Wanda and other things in the room where I am walking - I can see he is quite active.

Do these fish have day/night cycles? Or do they just sleep when they feel like it?
Wouldn't it be annoying if my fish has A.D.D. and can't get a good rest. (Ok, KIDDING!)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #7 
cheekysquirrel

Yeah I would probably not use that water, but that's just me.
I think with boiled water you may still need to use conditioner, but I'm not sure- I've lived in places where the water still tastes strongly of chlorine and, for some reason, sulfur, even after it's been boiled.
Fish do have a day/night cycle, but maybe he's a little out of whack? Like a night shift worker sleeping in the day? Lol.
And yes, it's definitely a learning curve, and you'll find that even the most experienced fishkeeper may realise "oh, bugger, I could have been doing this, instead of that!"
Congratulations, Wanda is a very beautiful boy
cheekysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #8 
Waking Buddha

I am very curious about why you use ac water instead of tap water. I've never heard of this and maybe you stated your reason but I could not find it.
Waking Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #9 
Rana

You'll still need to use conditioner if you boil your water. Some chlorine will evaporate out, but not all, and if your city uses chloramine (more and more common), it won't evaporate at all. I definitely wouldn't use the A/C water, since it sits inside metal pipes and collects goodness-know-what. Rainwater might be an option depending on the local pollution levels, but honestly tap or bottled water is really the most sensible choice imo.

Are there lights on at night? Fish don't have eyelids, so if it isn't dark enough they'll be kept awake. Sometimes my fish are fast asleep all night, other times they're up and running around even after a few hours of darkness.

And your Wanda is definitely a male, a very pretty looking veil tail by the looks of it, but he's got some fin rot it seems. Keep the water nice and clean and he should heal up just fine. :3
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #10 
nemo number2

Ok, my "spin" on why:

Tap water is nearly as much water as ice cream is cream - these days.
Ok, maybe not that bad.

But the fish doesn't want all those chemicals in the water.

The "A/C" gets water from the air.

The natural water cycle is evaporation, condensation, precipitation and.....
Too long ago to remember.

But basically water (be it clean, contaminated or what ever) lying on the ground is heated - by the sun (usually) - and evaporates into the air.

Then it condenses and then falls back to earth as rain.

The A/C is a cold surface where the water condenses and then runs down a pipe (plastic in my case) into a pan where it is collected.

Granted WHERE the "coldness" is there is metal and so the water is not able to be used in car batteries, but I don't remember the fish needing batteries, or using them.

So the water is as "pure" as you can expect. There is no fluoride, chlorine, or other contaminants in it.

Granted I may add a bit of "Betta safe" but that is only to be sure.

I can't see why I have to use TAP WATER and add "conditioner" (betta safe) to it to remove the chemicals when the water coming from the A/C doesn't have the chemicals to start with.

Granted the first time I put Wanda in the water I used betta safe and betta start (or bio start), but that was to get the other things going.

As I said: I don't want to be cantankerous towards the fish. It was given to me. I didn't really want it. But I shall do my best to look after it.

I didn't have a pet for the reason my lifestyle doesn't really allow for a pet. The other person thought differently though.

Considering how Wanda looked when he arrived and how he looks now: He is living in close to paradise.

It just would be nice if I had a better place to put him. The tank is on top of a wall unit which is FULL of electronic gear worth a fair bit of money.

Water and electricity don't mix too well. Picking up the tank when it is full of water is difficult. Adding to that the two power cables for the pump and light it is a juggling game trying not to knock things over, destroy anything and keep the tank the right way up.

(Can someone tell me how to make this box into which I am typing a bit bigger? Seeing 5 lines of typed text is confusing as I don't remember what I have already said.)

Anyway, back to my learning curve.
Bye.