Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #1 
rylovesriska

Luna!

I went out and got a baby betta tonight (finally!) She is a clear cellophane or i thought so when i picked her up but since i got her home she has gotten a little red in her fins. i have named the little darling luna and am in love with her. She is swimming next to me in a 10 gallon aquarium. Does anyone have any tips for this little darling? She is the most active little thing!I will attach some pictures can anyone give my guesses on gender and type? i know its probably to young to tell but i still want to have a guess :)
Attached Images

rylovesriska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #2 
rylovesriska

Here are better pictures :)
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, she is adorable. :o
I have no idea on type though!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #4 
Alphahelix

Are you sure it's female? Babies are hard to tell with so you might have to wait until it's older to know for sure:)

In my limited experience with the babies they need higher temps (80-84) and up to 4x a day feedings while they grow!

Good luck- she is adorable and lucky to have so much space!
Alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #5 
rylovesriska

No I'm not sure I was actually wondering if anyone had any guesses :) I'm guessing that she is like 6 weeks old according to the betta size chart. I put in a heater but it is not working as well as I would like sadly :/
Old 01-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #6 
rylovesriska

Day 2

Luna has definite red in her (i still don't know if it is a 'her'). I actually got her to flare! no little beard but she may be too little to tell, i did notice that she has little points on her tail, so maybe a crown tail? i tried to get a good picture they are below
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #7 
Rana

What a cutie! A pale body with colored fins is usually called a Cambodian pattern, I believe. Since s/he doesn't have any stripes on its body, it will probably stay pale rather than get colored in. :3

I'm no expert but I think your baby might actually be a male. When you look at its sides, do you see a dark pink-red triangle behind its stomach? (Shine a flashlight from behind if you're having trouble seeing) If yes, those are ovaries and it's probably a girl. If not it might be a boy, but since they have their testes in about the same spot it can be hard to tell until they're older.

Oh, and fins grow ray-first, so it looks spiky before the webbing fills in. You may have a little crown tail on your hands, but it could just be growing fins.

Last edited by Rana; 01-27-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #8 
rylovesriska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
What a cutie! A pale body with colored fins is usually called a Cambodian pattern, I believe. Since s/he doesn't have any stripes on its body, it will probably stay pale rather than get colored in. :3

I'm no expert but I think your baby might actually be a male. When you look at its sides, do you see a dark pink-red triangle behind its stomach? (Shine a flashlight from behind if you're having trouble seeing) If yes, those are ovaries and it's probably a girl. If not it might be a boy, but since they have their testes in about the same spot it can be hard to tell until they're older.

Oh, and fins grow ray-first, so it looks spiky before the webbing fills in. You may have a little crown tail on your hands, but it could just be growing fins.
She does have the 'triangle' which is why I thought she was a girl.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #9 
syssal

Oh she is so adorable and little~
syssal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #10 
rylovesriska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post

I've noticed compared to other baby bettas that her 'triangle' are not as dark or clearly defined it is actually rather faded