Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

On the non-aquatic plants like peace lily, ivy, weeping willow, bamboo etc....you want ONLY the roots in the water, a couple of leaves will not hurt but they will rot in time...the peace lily are great in a trickle type filtration system and I had one in the back of my HOB filter for a while until it got too big and I potted it up, bamboo will be fine if the main part of the stem and leaves are out of the water....in the spring I like to cut weeping willow branches and put in my tank to root out and if you ever have green water problems weepy willow is great to help remove it by sucking up the excess nutrients and they look pretty cool draped in a tank too-but you have to be careful and not let the roots grow into the substrate or tangle too much in the tank and make a mess.....just remember non-aquatic plants can't be totally submersed in the water-watch for rot and make water changes as needed.......use common sense.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #12 
Malvolti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
but if you plan to add shrimp be warned...they will use this for an escape route
THIS

I just got back from resuing one of my shrimp. Apparently he decided to climb the power cord for my heater. I found him flopping around on the table top and was able to get him to flop into a net but it was still a pretty big scare. All the holes he had easy access to are now covered by saran wrap (Cellophane).
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #13 
SemioticSleep

An odd smell? It could be amonia. when my tank smells I know it's time to change the water.
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #14 
wallywestisthebest333

Exactly what OFL said. That was the point I was trying to make. It's cool to have terrestrial plants in your tank. It's just that you should only have the roots in there.

If you'd still like an easy plant list I can supply one for you.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #15 
Adastra

The way this was stated made it seem like the plant was woody and actually IN the tank, fully submerged. I don't think anyone made any unfair assumptions--just letting you know that the plant will rot if it is left submerged because it doesn't have the ability to regrow modified leaves that can breathe while under water.

As for how powerful your LEDs are, it can be difficult to determine. The more expensive (often custom made) LEDs definitely trump all other forms of aquarium lighting, even T5HO and metal halide because they generate bright, and extremely white light without generating much heat at all, and without using much energy.

However, most of the LEDs we see going out as stock lighting and the cheap strips usually aren't very powerful because it's not cost effective for the manufacturer to use them--they are simply banking on the visual appeal of ultra-white light, longevity, and energy efficiency. You're going to have to research the stock lighting to figure out how many watts per gallon it will yield--but based on what I've seen, I would assume that the LEDs are roughly on par with fluorescents--if the kit was relatively cheap, a bit under par. Luckily, it's only a 10G tank so the light doesn't have far to go. With a long photoperiod and some Excel you might be able to do moderate light plants if the LEDs are powerful enough.

I still think you should get a master test kit--you're investing in a long term project, and it's a valuable tool that will help you start right and avoid disaster. You can also diagnose problems with your bacteria colony in the event of a mini-cycle later on. They're really simple to use if you follow the directions, and really--considering how many hundreds of tests you get, and the fact that you will know with certainty whether or not your fish are being poisoned, the price is quite reasonable.

Last edited by Adastra; 12-07-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #16 
MrVampire181

Cories and snails...love em!

I have a confession.....I don't own a test kit...at all. I use my dad's on occasion but I do water changes at least every other day on all tanks/jars...50%-100%....I don't feel the need for them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #17 
Adastra

You have to admit, though, you're not exactly cycling your tanks or jars at the moment, so you don't have a considerable need for one if you keep up with your routine. As an experienced aquarist, I'm sure you keep up with it quite well. :)

Even if the OP does not elect to purchase a test kit, he or she will still have to get their water tested with regularity at a local fish store in order to keep tabs on their cycle as it progresses, and as they continue to add to their stocking level. Otherwise there's just no way to know if his or her water changing routine is effective, or when/if the tank is cycled.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #18 
DormDrax

I feel like I'm being lectured hahahaha

... but it's fine you are all making points I didn't know, so I can't throw a hissy fit haha.

Cept for the water being Ammonia tainted thing... since the water was fresh Saturday. Don't really think Drax has been that messy haha.

... *Blinks* Mother... she has been trying to get him to eat like a mother trying to get a stubborn baby to eat mushed carrots with the baby spitting the carrots all over the place. My mom was interested in the idea of a Gravel vac so I may get one... as well as some more pretty stones for the tank. I think Drax likes deep colors like purple, blue, and red, so I'll maybe get a mix of those haha. Besides seems like glass stones or plastic would be easy to see when their dirty... if they aren't shiny... then they are dirty haha. (Totally fried from Binding a book earlier so excuse the language of a 3yr old).

Well Friday I'll see for sure if she hasn't killed him... haha.

I have Bamboo... but... unloved ones that have gunky green water in their vases (I HAVE ALOT OF PLANTS AT HOME! SO I FORGET ABOUT A FEW SO SUE ME! XD)

Hmm I wonder if any vines would work... like when you were a kid and you'd stick... like what a Potato or Avocado Pit in water and it would grow into a Vine or tree... I may test this theory... Ooohhhh Variegated Potato Vines are so pretty come to think of it... a mix of green and purple... over flowing the tank... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (Not going to do it but it was a pretty mental image)

As for root maintenance I'm OCD already about his Tank (Wish I was home to be OCD with it!) If I thought ANY roots were gettin alittle too big they'd be cut off as soon as possible.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #19 
Adastra

It would probably be a better idea to root the pit or potato in another container first, and then once it's rooted and put out leaves, transfer it to the fish bowl. Sometimes those things end up turning on you when you soak them in water, so better safe than sorry. :) Pothos and wandering jew are very easy to grow and look nice draped out of a bowl.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #20 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
It would probably be a better idea to root the pit or potato in another container first, and then once it's rooted and put out leaves, transfer it to the fish bowl. Sometimes those things end up turning on you when you soak them in water, so better safe than sorry. :) Pothos and wandering jew are very easy to grow and look nice draped out of a bowl.
I also have a Passion Vine! Thats thriving so it probably wouldn't mind if I divided it alittle and put part of it in the tank.

ALSO!

Parents actually WANT To get more fish for the tank.

Drax seems to be a strangely calm, (But can be fiesty) betta. So what fish would be good for him. Don't really want to get Shrimp if they might try to crawl out of the tank via vines...

Tank is 10Gal, plenty of little hiding places, or will get more hiding places.
Would REALLY like to get some vibrant fish and ones that ... I dunno... do alot haha. Maybe even some fish that Drax might ..... dare I say... play with?
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote