Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #21 
TaylorW

Never had a community tank, or anything with a betta, but maybe zebra danios or glofish? (they're practically the same fish, one colorful and genetically engineered, one not!)

And I don't think you could go wrong with corycats or snails, that seems to be what most people have in their tanks around here.

Of course, tank mates all depends on Drax's personality :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #22 
Malvolti

If I remember correctly the tank in question is 10 gallons, too lazy to go check.

Danios (and glofish) generally need 20 gallons so I wouldn't recommend them.

I would recommend Neon Tetras (I also like cardinal tetras and black tetras). They look really awesome. they are a schooling fish so you need a few, 4 or 5, but the silver red and blue is really attractive flashing in the light. The problem with tetras is that larger ones can get nippy, neons don't usually get large enough though.

Corries are also good, again you'll need about 3 but they are great for cleaning the bottom of the tank.

Guppies aren't uncommon. I've never done Bettas and Guppies together but as long as the Guppies aren't the fancy tailed variety they should get along. Guppies can be quite colorful so they can add some nice colors to the tank. Guppies also like to be in groups so having 4 or 5 of them together would be a good idea.

Last edited by Malvolti; 12-14-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #23 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
If I remember correctly the tank in question is 10 gallons, too lazy to go check.

Danios (and glofish) generally need 20 gallons so I wouldn't recommend them.

I would recommend Neon Tetras (I also like cardinal tetras and black tetras). They look really awesome. they are a schooling fish so you need a few, 4 or 5, but the silver red and blue is really attractive flashing in the light. The problem with tetras is that larger ones can get nippy, neons don't usually get large enough though.

Corries are also good, again you'll need about 3 but they are great for cleaning the bottom of the tank.

Guppies aren't uncommon. I've never done Bettas and Guppies together but as long as the Guppies aren't the fancy tailed variety they should get along. Guppies can be quite colorful so they can add some nice colors to the tank. Guppies also like to be in groups so having 4 or 5 of them together would be a good idea.

My mom is a color maniac so of course she'd want the most elegant looking fish. (Well she has been taking good care of Drax while I finish finals haha might as well get what she'd favor) So... *Taking notes*

4 Corries, 5 Neon Tetra's, 5 Guppies are my options?

Now is this just one of those options... so only 4-5 more fish or could I do some of each? Kinda want to get the most out of this Tank hahaha
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #24 
Malvolti

Personally I wouldn't do more than 4 or 5 additional fish. Any more and you risk over stocking.

Another fish I've heard of in Betta tanks are Mollies, they can be colorful but in my experience (my brother bred them) they can be very agressive. He kept some with fancy Guppies and the Mollies would beat the Guppies up and were terrible for nipping everyone else's tails. After the Mollies killed a Guppy he finally agreed to seperate them.

There are also Barbs which look quite attractive but again they tend to be biters which would be bad for your Betta.

Those are the only species I have experience with so I'm not really quallified to suggest anything else.

My suggestion is still Tetras, but since your mom likes color you may want to look for Cardinal Tetras. They are like Neons but have a larger red stripe which really brings out the blue.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #25 
DormDrax

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't do more than 4 or 5 additional fish. Any more and you risk over stocking.

Another fish I've heard of in Betta tanks are Mollies, they can be colorful but in my experience (my brother bred them) they can be very agressive. He kept some with fancy Guppies and the Mollies would beat the Guppies up and were terrible for nipping everyone else's tails. After the Mollies killed a Guppy he finally agreed to seperate them.

There are also Barbs which look quite attractive but again they tend to be biters which would be bad for your Betta.

Those are the only species I have experience with so I'm not really quallified to suggest anything else.

My suggestion is still Tetras, but since your mom likes color you may want to look for Cardinal Tetras. They are like Neons but have a larger red stripe which really brings out the blue.
I'll have to Call around for Cardinal Tetras then hahah I'll get 4-5.

Actually... Hmm read that 6 is really what I should do to get them to 'Shoal' perhaps a mix of Neon and Cardinal to mix it up. I'm OCD on cleaning and upkeep so if 6 fish is slightly overstocking, I'm more than mental prepared for the slight increase in upkeep *Suddenly wearing French Maid Outfit* I enjoy cleaning hahaha

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-15-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #26 
Alex09

I would ditch the guppies. Too risky. Try platies instead. They are awesome :P
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #27 
JKfish

Personally, I wouldn't do fast schooling fish like tetras in less you have a bigger tank with lots of hiding spots. I had a school of rasboras, and they stressed my boy so badly. Go with platies, they are colorful, but not obnoxiously fast schoolers. With them, I would do 3-4 boy platies.

As for playing... Let's just say bettas are the school bully. They either ignore the rest , or 'play' tag.... With their teeth
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #28 
baylee767

I've read that Cardinal Tetras are one of the nippy Tetras. IMO corys would be better, but that's just my thought.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #29 
Malvolti

When I had tetras in a community tank (a mix of cadinal and neon) I never had a problem. My Betta guarded the surface, the tetras were happy to swim around the middle and the shrimp stuck to the gravel.

But that's why it comes down to personaltiy. Any species of tetra can be nippy if you get a bully and any Betta could kill the tetras if he's aggresive.

If you want to be safe definitely go with Cories or Platies.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #30 
DormDrax

Quote:
When I had tetras in a community tank (a mix of cadinal and neon) I never had a problem. My Betta guarded the surface, the tetras were happy to swim around the middle and the shrimp stuck to the gravel.

But that's why it comes down to personaltiy. Any species of tetra can be nippy if you get a bully and any Betta could kill the tetras if he's aggresive.

If you want to be safe definitely go with Cories or Platies.

Any of these good for cleaning the tank?