Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #1 
ansalong

New Tank Stress?

I just got a new fish (yet unnamed) last night. He seemed very stressed last night by the change of venue from his little petstore cup to my tank. He would not stop swimming around frantically and shaking his fins around. I assumed it was just stress from the new tank so I let him be over night.

This morning he still seems very stressed out. He goes back and forth between resting on the gravel in the back of the tank to darting around and wiggling a lot. He freaks out more when I run the filter so I am not running it right now. Is this normal for moving into a new tank, or is there something else wrong? This didn't happen with my first fish.

All tank parameters are normal. I cycled the tank and conditioned the water, and tested before putting him in the tank.

Also, the new guy has a little hunchback, which I've never seen before. Does this happen?
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #2 
ansalong

Update: he has stopped his darting and is now just hanging out at the top of the tank in a corner. He has not shown any interest in food.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #3 
FishyFriend1

how much light does he get?
Is he in a high traffic area?
Its probably a new environment that he isn't used to.
Does he have a hidey-hole?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #4 
ansalong

The lighting in the room is pretty good and the tank has a light in the hood. I turned off the light because it looked like he wanted to hide.

He has a hidey hole that he hasn't expressed any interest in. He's just sitting at the top of the tank in the corner by the filter.

I'm figuring it's the new environment. I sure hope so! Was wondering if anyone else experienced this with a new fish. My last fish adjusted quickly to the tank and was begging for food within minutes.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #5 
shinybetta

I wouldn't turn the filter off. All the beneficial bacteria will die, and the cycle will be lost. Move him to a low-traffic area, and cover the tank with blankets. He may have also been trying to rub a parasite off.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 
ansalong

Well I turned the filter back on and he seems to be panicking again. He is charging the gravel and darting around the tank again.

He doesn't look like he's scratching himself, but I am really at a loss to his behavior so maybe it is a parasite. Do you think I should treat for it? i'm inclined to give him a day or two to settle in but he really seems abnormally stressed out.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #7 
ansalong

I have the light off and he is in a dark quiet corner.
Whenever he swims under where the filter pours back into the tank, the current throws him down to the bottom of the tank. So I turned it off for now. It's a 1 gal tank.

I am letting some water warm to room temp to do a water change and I am going to raise the water level a bit to ease the current of the filter. But he seems really affected by the filter current (it's a tiny filter, very gentle).

Now that the filter is off he is just sitting still near the surface again. I wish I could entice him to eat something.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #8 
ansalong

Dead!

I'm sorry I keep updating. This has been worrying me all day.
I decided after more observation that this new guy probably did have a parasite. He was really starting to itch himself, hanging at the surface and refusing food.

I was just getting ready to treat him when he lay on the bottom of the tank and he is just dead.

I am going to get a complex! I know what killed Loki so I was testing all his water parameters and they were perfectly normal. Is it possible he came with a parasite and was already infected? I got him at Petsmart, and I think that is the last time I go there.

I've been researching nice fish pet stores near me, and I found a few and I think I am going to try one of them.

My two biggest concerns are:
A) Is there something I missed here? I just brought this guy home last night. I want to do right by a fish!
B) If it's possible my new guy had a parasite, is this tank safe to use again (after I clean it, obviously)? What about the things in the tank?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #9 
scootshoot

You obviously purchased a sick specimen. Did he look healthy in his cup at the display shelf? There is always risk with any live animal making a cross country trip to a retail store or a new owners destination.

Sounded like it died pretty quick, Petsmart should allow an exchange.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #10 
ansalong

He did seem healthy at the pet store. He didn't have any visible signs of illness and he seemed to be interacting with me.

I believe Petsmart will allow an exchange, but I don't think I want another fish from that store. And I think it might depress me to pack up a dead fish and bring it back.

Do you think it's okay to reuse this tank for a new fish after I clean it?