Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #1 
LetItBe4Sanity

Unhappy Female Betta,Constant Flaring & Horizontal Stripes

About a month ago I purchased 3 female betta together and started them off in a quarantine tank, then added them to a 10 gallon that had been cycled and properly ornamented. Temperature is great, and its also filtered (but not too much where it'd cause any problems).

I noticed that this particular fish tended to be rather bossy and mean to the other fish. Within the last week, however, she's the one who was being bullied (although it never ended bad considering its a large tank). Up until the last few days, however, she's seemed in good health.

Her colors are still bright and beautiful, but she has the horizontal lines (which I know means stress) and she's constantly flaring. All of the other fish look marvelous and in great shape. I decided to quarantine her (yesterday) and even alone she's flaring.

What should I do?
LetItBe4Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #2 
baylee767

You're supposed to have a minimun of 4 female bettas in a sorority, some even say six! Females tend to be stressed out slightly in a sorority, but the more the merrier! I was told once that odd numbers are best, so there can be an alpha female. If I were you I'd add some more females (But remove the current females and rearange the decor first!) So that there was 5-7 females! The more females, the more the aggression is spread out. If your fish is stressed from the other fish attacking her, then there's the answer to your problem.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #3 
LetItBe4Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
You're supposed to have a minimun of 4 female bettas in a sorority, some even say six! Females tend to be stressed out slightly in a sorority, but the more the merrier! I was told once that odd numbers are best, so there can be an alpha female. If I were you I'd add some more females (But remove the current females and rearange the decor first!) So that there was 5-7 females! The more females, the more the aggression is spread out. If your fish is stressed from the other fish attacking her, then there's the answer to your problem.
I forgot to mention I bought a fourth a bit ago... she was quarantined then added to the tank. She's doing awesome. The forementioned betta just seems to be getting worse.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #4 
baylee767

Sorry than idk what the problem is )= Maybe sorority life isn't for her?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #5 
Tsuhei

Not testing your intelligence here, but are you sure it's a female? Because I think we had a forum member make a post about how one of his/her "females" was actually a male.

If not, I'd still take her out anyway and start treating her if she's hurt =( poor girl. Sounds like if she's still a she, then she's probably not the sorority type.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #6 
LetItBe4Sanity

I'm pretty positive she's a girl... I've had her for about a month now and her fins haven't really grown at all. I've been watching her today and even alone she's flaring. She looks REALLY sad, and doesn't really have the energy to swim around even though she's in a large tank all by herself. I love my Jasmine... :( I want to fix her!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #7 
LetItBe4Sanity

Oh, and another quick note... I noticed she doesn't really spread her tail like the others do. She keeps it kind of, um, I guess you'd call it contracted? I mean here and there she does, but mostly they're small and she continuously flares.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #8 
sayurasem

its normal, my double tail female is a bully too.
she bullyother veil, and my crowntail females as well.
so 10g tank is a must.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #9 
Tsuhei

Actually it doesn't have to have long fins to be a male. There's a type of finnage called "plakat". For example, like my avatar picture of my fish, Stamps. But if you're positive it's a girl, then I won't test you

If her fins are clamped, she might be really stressed out or sick. Make sure there's enough hidey-holes in your tank so she can seek shelter when she's had enough bullying if you decide to keep her in the sorority. But if she's weak, I would put her in a quarantine / hospital tank until she got better and regained her strength, then possibly try to reintroduce her later.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #10 
BettaGirl290

Himmm, idk how to treat this, maybe try putting her in with a male, (snd buy a male if ya dont have one) she might get happier and mean flare can turn into happy flares. (maybe im just saying, maybe.)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote