Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #1 
fav74

More questions.

We have had the little guy for a few days now and was hoping someone could clear up a couple questions I have. How active are Betta in general this guy seems to be always on the move. Every other Betta that I have seen just seems to hang out of course i have only seen a few in planted vase's or in the pet store. Next question is his possible reflection in the aquarium. I have replaced the incandescent light with fluorescent one and when it is on and it is considerably darker in the room he is often near one of the sides flared. The aquarium is acrylic and it doesn't happen during the day. Is there anything i can do about this?
fav74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #2 
Malvolti

In a proper tank Betta are very active. Mine only stops to sleep.

Yes the Betta is seeing his reflection. As long as the ligh inside the tank is a lot brighter than outside he will. It isn't necessarily a bad thing unless he's doing it for extended periods.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fav74 View Post
We have had the little guy for a few days now and was hoping someone could clear up a couple questions I have. How active are Betta in general this guy seems to be always on the move. Every other Betta that I have seen just seems to hang out of course i have only seen a few in planted vase's or in the pet store. Next question is his possible reflection in the aquarium. I have replaced the incandescent light with fluorescent one and when it is on and it is considerably darker in the room he is often near one of the sides flared. The aquarium is acrylic and it doesn't happen during the day. Is there anything i can do about this?
Mine did this on a regular basis. He is in a critter keeper now, so he doesn't have a direct light in his tank. I just have a lamp over it. But in his former tank, he did flare if I left his light on and the room light off. I'm sure it's because he saw himself clearly.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #4 
Adastra

All of the fish you see that are lethargic in vases and whatnot are simply cold. Bettas are cold-blooded animals that are adapted to survive in tropical temperatures between 77-83 degrees. If they are left at room temperature without a heater, they are quite understandably lethargic, as any cold blooded animal that has been denied access to heat would be. This is why we do not consider good adjustable heaters to be optional when housing your betta.

If he sees his reflection for a long period of time, he may become stressed. Silk or live plants with broad leaves and a few caves to hide in will help--he will feel more secure with more decorations to hide in.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #5 
danifacetastic

Yeah when my bettas were in unheated tanks they didn't do a whole lot but as soon as I put the heaters in even though they were in 1 gallons they were active. Now I've got 3 boys in a ten gallon and they love it.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote