Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Tango, sick old man on the road to recovery

I took pics when he was sick but I couldn't post them. It made me too sad. Now that's he's better I can share his recovery too.

I said in another thread, he's still really thin and I know this. I don't know if he'll ever be the buff man he once was but I'm okay with that. He's not as thin as he was by a long shot.
He's happy and active and he's eating 4-6 bloodworms a day. So I'll claim victory and ignore his old man hump. :P

Sick old dude. He stayed on that heater mostly the whole time. He couldn't eat, he couldn't swim to the bottom. He was just hanging on to life. I really thought I was gonna lose him:

Sick, skinny, old dude on the second day of Kanaplex, springing back to life. You can see by his back hump how thin he'd gotten. I actually thought he had dropsy cause his thin-ness was making his back scales stick up:

Tango today, hoping for food and cruising. His tail is growing in all curly. His back is rounding out again slowly. He's still very transparent. I'm thinking of putting him on Mysis shrimp for a couple days a week to fatten him up. Any thoughts?

Closeup of cute curly tail regrowth. I miss the long tail but the curling is kinda cute. He doesn't really care either way. He likes an unbaffled filter now so it's probably better that it's short.

This choked me all up. I love my Tango.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #2 
JKfish

:) it's good to see Tango is getting better again under your great care. If you don't mind me asking, what was he sick with?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #3 
fleetfish

He's a beautiful old boy. I'm so glad he's feeling better and hanging in there for you.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #4 
Fermin

:( Tango looks like an elderly little guy. I don't really have any suggestions except to just keep him happy, warm, and filled with tasty food.

My little Gravy Jones looked almost exactly like Tango as he became an old man - scraggly and thin (all head and a little stick body like a sperm).

When he first started thinning out I tried an antiprotozoal med to rule out a GI parasite, but at least for my Gravy I think it was just part of his aging process.

Hope Tango hangs in there. :)
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Well he is amazingly recovering and fast. Nice job and im sure he thanks you too:)

Good luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #6 
xswornxoffxjello

He's looking better! You'll fatten him up in no time. :)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

GAH! >n< I thought but forgot to type:
I'm REALLY glad he got better! <3 He was so skinny! I'm so sorry! It must have been terrifying!

Didn't he have that mystery clamp where he just got really sick all of a sudden?

So kanaplex is the medicine that saved him? Where did you buy it at? I'd love to have some on hand just in case I get another case of mystery clamp. <=[

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 12-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #8 
Miharu
Banned

He is a lovely old man!! Good job for helping him to get better so fast!! I'm sure he'll improve even more with you looking out for him!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #9 
CodeRed

Oh my goodness. When you said he was sick I didn't think he was so... sick o.o Way to go, Tango! ((: He really pulled through! He looked terrible, I hate to say. He's lucky he's got a momma like you who's willing to help him through (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #10 
vaygirl

He started losing weight and clamping first. At that point he was still eating ravenously but he was stick thin. That was the first week. By the second week he was unable to find food, even if it was in front of him. He'd try to eat it and fail. He was managing maybe one bloodworm a day. He got even skinnier. He stayed on the heater or the wisteria all day. He'd try to come to me but was unable to move much. I was doing water changes every two days at this point. His parameters were fine but I couldn't think of what else to do.

I think it was the third week that he started having a swim bladder issue and his fins started to just shrivel. He would roll on his side and just lay there. At that point I started looking at different causes of just swim bladder and one thing I'd read was that they were sometimes caused by internal bacterial infections. The recommendation for a fish who couldn't eat was Kanaplex.

Since I'd lost two other fish to what I thought was bacterial infections, I thought I could give it a try. He was pretty much ravaged at this point. He was all head. The second dose of Kanaplex and he was eating bloodworms and going down a little bit in the tank. The third dose and he was completely healed. He was eating, resting on the bottom, patrolling and flaring at himself.

I don't know if he had what the others had. My other fish all had a noticeable bloat the day before they died and they died within 48 hours. He got very, very thin and never bloated at all. so I still don't know exactly what it was but Kanaplex did the trick. It's made by seachem. You can find it online. It doesn't affect your biological filter and all you have to do is remove your carbon.

I can see he's been forever changed by it, but he fought the whole time. He's a toughie and I'm happy that he's still in my life. My lil man will have been with me two years come February. <3 Tango
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote