Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 
TyLee0409

New Betta Owner!!!

Ok so my wife and I were given a Betta, Sanka, for a wedding gift from a friend. Now we were horribly mislead being told the whole rumor "oh they don't need much water, here's a small bowl for you too!" and "oh they don't need any plants because they're always happy" well of course I was skeptical about the first and definitely perplexed by the second...how could anything be happy in just water?

Well within the next couple days, we'll be going out to buy a bigger tank for Sanka and of course some plants that I've been reading about on here. But now here's the questions, I did a full water change today and instead put warm tap water and treated it, let it sit for a minute and then put him back in. Little bugger hopped out and landed on the dang cutting board too...but we've had him for almost a month now and I've always done full water changes with room temp Brita filtered water. So today after I drop Sanka in the warm water, he goes NUTS! like I've never seen him so active which is a good thing I guess. I noticed tons of little bubbles from the water that he was playing with, not sure if he's trying to get rid of them or actually playing with them... and then I put a hanging light next to the bowl and he swims buy it, puts his mouth on the bottom of the bowl and spreads his fins out in front of the light. I assumed he's enjoying the warmth? And then I also noticed these 2 little white "barb" looking things under his chest and then some black spots, almost like those of a leopard, on the bottom of his anal fins (i think).

So a quick recap of what I would like answered:
Is it normal for him to be so active in warm water? (btw it was just barely warm to touch)
What are those little teeny tiny bubbles? Does he like them?
The swimming upside down thing?
The white barbs?
And the black leopard spots?

I'll try and take a picture of him soon

Thanks for the help!
TyLee0409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Welcome to the forum!

Because bettas are cold blooded, you should never just put him into water that is a different temperature from the current he's in. If it's too hot or too cold, he could go into shock. You should let him slowly acclimate instead by floating him (either in a cup or a baggie or something) in the new water for 15-30 minutes so that it gradually changes.

That being said, bettas do need warm water (about 76-82F). They are a lot more active in it. When you go to buy him a bigger tank, you should also get a heater for him.

The bubbles are normal after a water change and will go away in a day or so. Your betta's just playful, mine doesn't pay any attention to them. ;)

The 'barbs' you're describing might be Ventral fins? Here is a picture so you can see for yourself:

'Leopard spots' are pretty cool, I've had a few bettas that have had them. But if it's something else, a picture will help us identify it.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #3 
TyLee0409

yes, the barbs are at the end of the ventral fins, but they're like pure white is what i was confused about. he's more of the blue-green/deep purple color. as far as the spots, you've gotta some what close to see them, i'll try to snap a close up of him. as far as the water temp change, i did keep him in separate cup that was also the warm to the touch for a little while before placing him in the normal bowl. thanks for the help though, appreciate it, really.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If the water feels warm to touch...it is too hot...remember our body temp is 98.8F...he most likely jumped out trying to get away from the heat...you really need a thermometer and check the temp and try and equalize between the new and old water especially with 100% water changes

The home water filter usually just change one Ion for another and it is bad/harder on the fish....so the home water filter water are not recommended for fish use....your tap water will be better for him along with the proper dechlorinator

What do you mean by swimming upside down

The bubble in the tank after a water change really needs to be popped with either a clean hand or the net before you add him back to the tank-this rarely happens but if a bubble gets into the blood stream via gills it can kill him and they have also been know to cause popeye...very rare...but it can happen....

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping look forward to seeing pic and hearing more about your wet-pet.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 
TyLee0409

Alright, so my wife and I went out and bought a 1.5 gallon tank to hold us over until we head back up to CT to get her parents tank. Well, I rinsed everything off to include the large bottom stones, 4" gold ribbon plants, filter, heater, the inside of the tank, and then treated the water before placing Sanka in there. Well he seemed cautious at first, understanding, hid behind the filter a lot and then today while at work, the filter must have shut off, so I came home to a cloudy tank. Turned the filter on and water cleared up over some hours, still waiting to do a water change with him. However now his ventral fins, what i referred to as "white barbs" before, have kind of not so much receded, but became less apparent. And he's always had this like, grayish-whitish belly, not sure if that was normal but I had always assumed it was seeing as he's always been that way? He didn't eat at all today, nothing, no to pellets, no to flakes, and no to bloodworms. Everytime I checked up on him, he'd be laying on the rocks on the bottom, just chillin. What's up with him? How can he hate his new home?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #6 
MrVampire181

He's pretty stressed right now. When bettas are moved into a new home they freak out. Whenever I recieve a shipment they're pale and won't eat anything but frozen bloodworms.

Also the white tips on his ventrals may be normal...it's common in bettas.

Also with a filter you need to cycle the tank....since the one he is in is temporary you won't have to but keep up with water changes.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #7 
Adastra

I wouldn't worry about the white areas on the ends of his ventrals. White-tipped ventrals are an extremely common color pattern in bettas. However, the laying on the substrate part is a bit worrying--he should be active and alert throughout the day. The gray-white belly also says to me that he may be bloated or otherwise pale. Some fish do have a lighter color under their gill plates, but this becomes exaggerated when the fish is pale or bloated.

I think it's possible that the change in water parameters and temperature shocked him. Have you been monitoring the temperature with a thermometer? If it fluctuates too quickly from the water change and the introduction of the heater it can greatly stress out your fish.

Also, ribbon plants aren't truly aquatic plants, I regret to inform you. Any way you can return it to the store or exchange it? Often pet stores falsely market terrarium plants as aquarium plants, which is very frustrating for beginners. If you do decide to exchange it, look for anubias, java moss, java fern, anacharis, or elodea. These are easy to grow and don't feed from the roots, so they don't need anything fancy like root tabs or an enriched substrate to do well.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

@Adastra...I've used Ribbon plants in my spawning tanks...I've also used umbrella plants....I don't plant them I just float them...I never have them rot or anything...not saying your wrong just pointing out my observations......I would prefer to go with java moss and fern but I can't find it anywhere...looks like I gotta go online.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #9 
Adastra

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? :) This plant: http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...opj/7208cf.jpg is often called a ribbon plant, and if you fully submerge it, it will rot and die. If you let the leaves grow out of the water, it's not a problem--but this plant lacks the ability to grow the modified leaves necessary for aquatic plants to survive under water. Perhaps the floating action gives them enough air to survive?

As for where to find java moss, I have had very very good luck with local aquarium societies and classifieds like craigslist, but perhaps not every area is as aquarium-savvy as northern Virginia, haha.

Last edited by Adastra; 12-08-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? :) This plant: http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...opj/7208cf.jpg is often called a ribbon plant, and if you fully submerge it, it will rot and die. If you let the leaves grow out of the water, it's not a problem--but this plant lacks the ability to grow the modified leaves necessary for aquatic plants to survive under water. Perhaps the floating action gives them enough air to survive?

As for where to find java moss, I have had very very good luck with local aquarium societies and classifieds like craigslist, but perhaps not every area is as aquarium-savvy as northern Virginia, haha.
Yup that's the plant...I think what you said is right...when they float at least 75% of the leaf is above water.

Thanks for the tips on the moss...I'm sure the local group here would have some but I'm waiting for our IBC chapter to open (crosses fingers).