Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #1 
FishyFriend1

Back to square one

hey guys,
you may remember about a month ago I was told Charlie was tail biting.

I have tried moving ornaments around, letting him flare, putting things around the tank for him to look at. I even bought him a betta log! nothing seems to be working.

I would like this to stop. it was healing well for awhile and he stopped because it got to short. It's started again!!!! any tips?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #2 
JKfish

Unfortunately, with some bettas, tail biting is a habit similar to i dunno, biting nails in little kids.

Keep his water clean, continue trying to occupy him.

Sorry if I forgot, but do you have a filter In there?

How's the lighting by his tank. If it is too bright, that might be a cause.

If he's in a quiet room, consider moving him somewhere with a lot of people traffic. If he's in a loud trafficy room, maybe bring him elsewhere.

Don't give up :) and don't worry, if after a very long time of trying different things but no success, you might just want to accept him as a wanna-be plakat. Some bettas are odd like that and bit their tails short.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #3 
FishyFriend1

just natural light from the window but lately because it's Canada we have had no light.

fairly high traffic

filter available but no used
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #4 
JKfish

Try switching it up some, and giving him a bit more light. It sounds like he's got a lot of hiding spots, so he should be fine in a high traffic place.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #5 
FishyFriend1

okay i will try
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I'm sorry I am in the same boat.. well I was. Ickis started chredding his tail so bad, it's not even half it's original length! He has a wonderful set up.. but it didnt help. What I found to help, and his tail hasnt gotten more chewed since, is I made his filter flow a little bit stronger and he is so happy to swim in the little current. maybe try the filter on?
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #7 
FishyFriend1

well that means i have to install it..... darn
Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #8 
Rain Drop

Do you add anything to the water other than conditioner?
I figured out that my betta would bite his tail whenever I would add salt to help treat his already ripped up fins...from previous tail biting! I didn't figure out it was a vicious cycle until one water change I forgot to add salt.....yep.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 
Adastra

Not all bettas bite as a result of boredom--more often than not, it is in response to a stressful situation. Changing his tank around, adding new things, and moving the tank could be adding to his problem rather than alleviating it. I always assume that the bite issue is from stress before boredom--because your attempts to alleviate boredom will only stress your fish out more.

Instead of moving him around and doing all kinds of crazy things, try dimming the lights, giving him lots of places to hide and feel secure, keep him in a low traffic area, baffle the filter flow, monitor the temperature of the tank to make sure it is stable, and acclimate him very slowly after every water change.

Some fish also do it in response to hunger. Instead of feeding him all at once--try giving him small amounts of food throughout the day. Others do it for wacky reasons. One of mine did not like to be in total darkness and stopped biting after I added a dim nightlight to the room at night. Another of my fish stopped biting when I removed a large decoration which freed up more swimming space. Figuring out what the trigger is for your fish can be a difficult process of elimination--but try not to change too many things at once. Try to limit yourself to one thing per week so you don't freak him out.

Last edited by Adastra; 12-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #10 
FishyFriend1

well i can't feed him just yet he is extremely bloated for some reason, i only feed him 3 pellets a day....
only conditioner in the water,
i do try to move the ornamented each week in water change day
only natural light. the tank has a light but in Canada it gets dark before im home to turn it off....