Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Sweetest Betta Rescue....help?

Hey everyone! I am not sure where the correct area to post this is, but I tried here. I was browsing through the Miami Craigslist (since that's where we have the RV right now) and found this post. A woman on here rescued 32 Bettas from a Walmart....it's just....so sweet and unbelievable. I guess it doesn't really help the bigger picture, as Walmart will keep getting these poor souls in stock, but I think the gesture is genuine and amazing. I wish we could take a few on, but being on the RV traveling now (we brought our one guy with us) it's just not possible. If anyone is in the area, and is looking for a another Betta friend, well, you should give this lady a shout....

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/2096775397.html

On a side note, I went into a Petco the other day in Stuart FL, and I immediately complained to the main office about the conditions. I just can't go into pet stores anymore....it's too heartbreaking and it makes me despise our species!

If anyone is in the Stuart area here, would be interested if the store actually cleaned up their act after I complained....
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #2 
kholder

I think maybe I don't understand the "rescue" thing. If you are "rescuing" bettas from Wal-Mart, Petco, PetsMart, etc., do those chain stores see it that way? Isn't it just another sale for them? What I am trying to say is, everytime someone buys (rescues) bettas (especially 30 of them), don't those companies just replace sold inventory, hence starting the process all over again?

I didn't read the article, just curious how this "rescue" thing works. When done at a retail chain, seems more like supporting their betta sales.

If I am not getting it, please feel free to set me straight...I'm new at this. :)
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #3 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
I think maybe I don't understand the "rescue" thing. If you are "rescuing" bettas from Wal-Mart, Petco, PetsMart, etc., do those chain stores see it that way? Isn't it just another sale for them? What I am trying to say is, everytime someone buys (rescues) bettas (especially 30 of them), don't those companies just replace sold inventory, hence starting the process all over again?

I didn't read the article, just curious how this "rescue" thing works. When done at a retail chain, seems more like supporting their betta sales.

If I am not getting it, please feel free to set me straight...I'm new at this. :)
Well that's what I kinda mentioned in my post as well. I think she was being genuine, but really it doesn't help the big picture. Of course they are going to get more in stock and then it will happen all over again. The entire thing is very sad, but I do think her heart was in the right place, even if she was unaware of how the cycle will continue.

These fish were rescued yes, but the ones following behind....not so much. Regardless, they are in need of homes, so that was my heads up....
Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

Kholder.. You are right, in a way. Yes, when you "rescue" a Betta from stores like the ones you mentioned..They do replace their inventory with new and "healthy" Bettas...meaning healthy as in sold faster which doesnt give them the time to waste away in a cup like the none healthy guys already on the self. So when you buy the none healthy guys..Its supporting the flow of healthy Bettas being sold faster, which keeps most of them from being the sick guy on the self. Think of it this way. Would you be attracted by a self full of sick Bettas or a self full of new healthy invetory? By taking away the sick Bettas..It attracts attention to all the other healthy Bettas on the self. (thats just the way I see it) I know when I buy Bettas from Walmart, Petsmart, and LFS I always buy the nsick ones.. Always.

Last edited by crowntail lover; 12-07-2010 at 09:58 PM.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #5 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntail lover View Post
Kholder.. You are right, in a way. Yes, when you "rescue" a Betta from stores like the ones you mentioned..They do replace their inventory with new and "healthy" Bettas...meaning healthy as in sold faster which doesnt give them the time to waste away in a cup like the none healthy guys already on the self. So when you buy the none healthy guys..Its supporting the flow of healthy Bettas being sold faster, which keeps most of them from being the sick guy on the self. Think of it this way. Would you be attracted by a self full of sick Bettas or a self full of new healthy invetory? By taking away the sick Bettas..It attracts attention to all the other healthy Bettas on the self. (thats just the way I see it) I know when I buy Bettas from Walmart, Petsmart, and LFS I always buy the nsick ones.. Always.

Interesting....
....and so so sad to think about....
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #6 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post

yes they will get more, but they will more when their stock dies too, so atleast the ones we "rescue" will be safe. We can't save them all, but the ones we can save are mostly better off. But I do understand, it's feeding the beast. But wow saving 30? That's dedication to the betta......
I looked at the pics. Those bettas look ALOT better than the ones at my Walmart. I wish her luck.

Last edited by TRISHIESfishie; 12-08-2010 at 01:48 AM.
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #7 
baylee767

I think she's still rescueing them because she mentioned that PETA and the news were going to be involved, so maqybe that walmart will be forced to quit selling Bettas!

IMO It's still rescueing Bettas when you buy them from those kind of stores. Sometimes those stores just sell Bettas even if they're not popular! It's sad to live in a world where rescueing Bettas can doom others )=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #8 
Adastra

You do have to look at the big picture though--supporting the stores that repeatedly give their fish poor care only reinforces their negative behavior and does more harm than good. Of course, there's nothing the average consumer can really do about the fact that bettas are displayed in cups, and are often mishandled during shipment. Many bettas arrive to the stores in a compromised state due to poor shipping or poor conditions at the farm, which is not the fault of the store.

However, the stores that continually and obviously keep their fish in areas exposed to unreasonably cold temperatures and refuse to provide the fish with clean water should not be patronized. If you want to rescue a fish from these conditions, talk to the management. Demand you receive the fish for free, or at cost value--your goal is to make the store lose money not make money from suffering. If you cannot do that, it is sad, but the better option is to leave the fish there, go home and write up an amazing letter of complaint to submit to the management and regional management. Sure you can save one betta today, but another one will be in its place next week. Wouldn't it be much better if you could make life better for all the future bettas that may pass through the store?

You also have to look at it another way--is that lady actually able to take proper care of and properly house all 30 bettas? Is it really different to go from living in an unheated dirty cup in a store to an unheated dirty bowl in someone's home? How much is she really helping by making sympathy purchases and hoarding all these bettas? How realistic are the rehoming prospects for all these common and sick bettas?

Last edited by Adastra; 12-08-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #9 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You do have to look at the big picture though--supporting the stores that repeatedly give their fish poor care only reinforces their negative behavior and does more harm than good. Of course, there's nothing the average consumer can really do about the fact that bettas are displayed in cups, and are often mishandled during shipment. Many bettas arrive to the stores in a compromised state due to poor shipping or poor conditions at the farm.

However, the stores that continually and obviously keep their fish in areas exposed to unreasonably cold temperatures and refuse to provide the fish with clean water should not be patronized. If you want to rescue a fish from these conditions, talk to the management. Demand you receive the fish for free, or at cost value--your goal is to make the store lose money not make money from suffering. If you cannot do that, it is sad, but the better option is to leave the fish there, go home and write up an amazing letter of complaint to submit to the management and regional management.

You also have to look at it another way--is that lady actually able to take proper care of and properly house all 30 bettas? Is it really different to go from living in an unheated dirty cup in a store to an unheated dirty bowl in someone's home? How much is she really helping by making sympathy purchases and hoarding all these bettas? How realistic are the rehoming prospects for all these common and sick bettas?
I agree with you about being able to care for all 32 bettas. It made me wonder how true it was. I myself bought 1 "rescue betta" from walmart, I can't imagine buying that many and then going our and buying each one everything it needs. When I rescued my 1 I spent $60 for just that one and I even already had the tank. It was just everything else they need. It would be sad for people to donate and have it not be true. It was a touching account though and I thank Starspun for posting it :D
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote