Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #1 
Creat

Question Breeding Tank Clean-up Crew?

I was planning to set up a permanent breeding tank cause I always tear it down when I'm not using it (I use it sporadically). So I got a ten gallon tank and I'm planning on adding a sponge filter for it, and it is heated at about 80 degrees F. But I was wondering what is the best kind of clean up crew for it I know some people use snails but would shrimp work? I was planning on just snails but what kind would you guys use or does it not matter. I would just like some permanent low matinence "custodians" with as small a bio-load as possible. What do you guys think cause I want to get back into breeding permanently cause I rather enjoy it.
And dont worry about the fry they have places to go if I dont keep them there are pet stores willing to take them in :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

I love snails! In fact I have two large snails in a 16 gallon all by themselves just for breeding...so far I have like 20 egg blobs in there :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #3 
nomoretickets

i would go with snails, as most of the shrimp you might add would consider your fry to be food.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I spawn using the natural method in NPT and I keep both snails-common type ramshorn, pond and trumpet and I also keep either red cherry shrimp or yellow shrimp in the spawning tank....have never had any issues with shrimp or snail eating healthy eggs or fry....except for the weak, dying or dead ones and that is what I want them to do...part of their job......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #5 
Creat

Ok thanks I might try both snails and shrimp and see what happens it probably depends on the males cause I have heard some dont like shrimp near them and I had a male that didnt like snails unless they were bigger then a quarter
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #6 
aKu3

Your shrimp might be dinner for them!!! I even had problems with snails, the male was p'd off n chomppd at the snail....the snail hasn't moved since n I see the female pickin at it now.
aKu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #7 
Chrisssy

I have snails ready to go into my breeding tank as soon as the little ones arrive :)

SNAILS = THUMBS UP
Chrisssy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean up breeding