Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #1 
meeka

How to get rid of aquarium snails?

Hi, I'm just after abit of help....... I've suddenly got a snail infestation and I was wondering how can I get rid of them?

I've tried the lettuce thing and it didn't work out too well, it only caught me a few. I've sucked out as many as I can and Ive been just pulling them out.

They are quite small and I've cut down on feeding my cories so there aren't lefts overs.

My tank is 60L and Ive just got 5 sterbai corys, 1 bristle nose and 1 betta and 2 shrimps (Marley ate their friends )

I think my tank is too small for a clown or yoyo loach and they are happiest when in a group. But I thought that maybe I could just borrow a couple until I get this infestation under control?

I'm not too keen on the idea of using chemicals but if that's my only option then that will do I guess.

Any thoughts?
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I have had good luck with traps-I use a small glass jar and put either lettuce or algae wafer in it and drop it in the tank at lights out and remove early AM-I have to do this daily for several days to get it under control......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #3 
leaveittoweaver

I know you're not comfortable using chemicals, but the fix-a-snail stuff does really work if you decide to go that route.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #4 
Miharu
Banned

Remove the fish and decorations (make sure there are no snails on them) poor gravel into a bucket then treat it with scalding water, followed by a bleach solution (9 parts water, 1 part bleach), followed by white wine vinegar (this will get rid of all the bleach), then more hott water (too get rid of the vinegar) I've used this before and never saw another snail again.
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
I know you're not comfortable using chemicals, but the fix-a-snail stuff does really work if you decide to go that route.
This stuff will work but often it is a copper based product and it can be harmful to plants and other inverts like shrimp and some fish.....it also can leach into the seams of glass tank and walls of acrylic tanks and can be a problem for the life of the tank and you may never be able to keep shrimp or snails in that tank......its a good idea to avoid copper based products.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #6 
leaveittoweaver

^Gotcha :) Thanks for the heads up.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #7 
meeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have had good luck with traps-I use a small glass jar and put either lettuce or algae wafer in it and drop it in the tank at lights out and remove early AM-I have to do this daily for several days to get it under control......
Thank you, I will give this a go.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #8 
meeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miharu View Post
Remove the fish and decorations (make sure there are no snails on them) poor gravel into a bucket then treat it with scalding water, followed by a bleach solution (9 parts water, 1 part bleach), followed by white wine vinegar (this will get rid of all the bleach), then more hott water (too get rid of the vinegar) I've used this before and never saw another snail again.
Wouldn't this kill my good bacteria and make my tank go into a mini cycle?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #9 
Tomsk

Try getting a couple of Assasin snails ?.No chemicals and its natural.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote