Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #1 
kingsnake2

Betta not Eating

A previous thread here.

It been a week and 4 days since I bought my betta at petco and he still won't eat.

So here are his conditions:

Cage-

+1 Gallon
+Small pump (runs hour a day or so)
+light on 16 hours a day
+Little cold (about 70F) (been keeping it warmer last few days with his light)
+No natural sunlight

My room cant be warmed up ( dorm, no control over thermastat). So I try to keep his light on a lot to keep it warmer and have a towel wrapped around his cage at night.

I'm trying to feed him pellet like things. Since he's not eating I've only been putting 3 or so in.

He seems fairly happy. Blows bubbles, usually swims around (although been less active the last 2 day).

So any suggestions, questions, etc?

Will he eventually eat pellets if he gets hungry? There is no pet store nearby and only a public fridge so bloodworms really arent a good option for me. Any other frozen foods he might eat that would be easier to get/keep?
kingsnake2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #2 
Creat

whats the water like? good water quality is a must or try soaking the food in garlic juice. He should come around if the water is good. I had a betta once that would eat the pellets unless they sank. Just make sure if you let them sink they dont rot.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #3 
kingsnake2

His water is a little dirty, I'm going to clean it today.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #4 
Creat

I would suggest changing a quarter of the water everyday or so because you have no filter and its only a gallon.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #5 
kingsnake2

well right now his rocks need cleaning cause some of his food floated to the bottom I think. But I will try to change small amounts more often after this.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #6 
Miharu
Banned

Bettas can live no problem with no food for 2 or 3 weeks, and its not uncommon for a betta not to eat when brought into a new environment. I've had bettas that ate right away, and others that didnt eat for over 2 weeks, they need to settle in and feel comfortable.

That said, in a 1 gallon tank you need to do 100% water changes at least every other day, and you really need a heater, 70 degrees is just too cold for a tropical fish, they're water needs to be ideally between 76 - 82 degrees. Water thats too cold will stress out a fish and leave him more open to illness. They do make heater that work in a 1 gallon tank, but make sure to get a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp. Also add a small pinch of aquarium salt, this will help boost him immune system!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 
kingsnake2

I fixed the 70F problem kinda now. Its mid, high 70's. The light + towel at night for insulation seems to be working well.

I do use aquarium salt, so that should keep him healthy.

An universally I've hear keep water clean so I'll be trying harder at that.

Well, I'll just keep giving him a few pellets a day until he decides he's hungry.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #8 
Miharu
Banned

You can also try different foods, try and stimulate his appetite with some yummy frozen bloodworms or something like that.
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #9 
kingsnake2

Thats kinda a problem. I don't really have a place for them and the public fridge in my dorm would not be happy. Anything less...offensive that I could get. At home I can use my fridge, but that will be another week or two.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #10 
Creat

I dont do 100% water changes ever unless I have been medicating a fish because I feel its to much of a shocker to their system and to the bacteria if their is no filter. Not trying to be rude I'm just curious.