Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #11 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Honestly. It's held a cycle all this time and I've never even opened the thing. All the bacteria is probably in the pad though, really. I keep waiting to have to do something with it but gosh, I guess it's been almost a year without me touching it. That filter pad is probably ready to fall apart. I shouldn't have said anything. Now it'll crash. :P

I wonder why yours gets stopped up? Maybe the motor is bad. Do you ever clean the impeller? Sometimes they slow up if there's gunk in them.
this is what i need!
i need to put some gunk on my motor!!!
cuz this filter's pump is too strong for my bettas.
btw... for this filter, do you have to buy new filter cartridge every month OR take it out, and just simply rinse it with tap water?
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #12 
TaylorW

Don't rinse with tap, it will kill your bacteria! Rinse with dechlorinated tank water.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #13 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Don't rinse with tap, it will kill your bacteria! Rinse with dechlorinated tank water.
yup, it says that on the filter manual " wash the blue thing under aquarium water.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #14 
CrankyFish84

I have this filter on 3 of my 10G's! It's great & I stick a bunch of aquarium sponges
in it until I"m happy with the way it's reducing the outflow. I never removed any orginal parts though. I just added to it. I don't think it's overly loud. :)

The beneficial bacteria goes NUTS on the extra sponging & you can just rinse it in tank water if it gets too dirty looking for your taste. Haven't had to replace it in 3 months.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #15 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyFish84 View Post
I have this filter on 3 of my 10G's! It's great & I stick a bunch of aquarium sponges
in it until I"m happy with the way it's reducing the outflow. I never removed any orginal parts though. I just added to it. I don't think it's overly loud. :)

The beneficial bacteria goes NUTS on the extra sponging & you can just rinse it in tank water if it gets too dirty looking for your taste. Haven't had to replace it in 3 months.

yeah... i put thin table cloth right behind/under the blue thing... it turns brown over night...
btw, if theres too much "good" bacteria... whats guna happen? should i rinse it or just leave it there since its good.. bacteria?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #16 
CrankyFish84

It's a "looks" thing really...I rinse mine because it starts to actually weigh it down so much,
and makes the outflow more strong. The actually sponge fiber isn't weakened though, and I don't see the point in throwing it out. Some of my sponge hangs down so it's visible when looking into the tank straight on. You can rinse the browned sponge IN the NEW tank water in the tank and it will go down to the gravel/plants/ect.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #17 
sayurasem

oooo oke... so just swirl it around on the new water tank if you do a replacement..

btw... do i really have to buy a new bio cartridge every month??? or just rinse it under tap water??
Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #18 
CrankyFish84

Oh heck no....Don't wash anything in tap water ever unless you get some crazy disease outbreak...some don't replace filters or media until it's totally falling apart in your hands...they say to replace it more often to make $$$ .... even when it is falling apart, save some so you don't loose all that good bacteria & add it to the new cartridge..dont wanna have to start the nitrogen cycle all over again ! :)
Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #19 
wildmagic713

Thank you so much :)

I had to put a new filter in my Betta's new tank, and it is the exact same one. I only have the sponge where the "Bio-Holster" would be, AKA where you showed us how to put it, but I may or may not add another one in back depending on water flow.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #20 
sayurasem

dear admin, sticky this will you please :)

Tags
aqueon, filter, mod