Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #1 
kholder

Always Have These Items on Hand

The more I learn, the harder this gets. More knowledge just seems to bring more questions. I am certainly becoming aware of how much I don't know. With that said:

What items should a betta owner always have on hand?

Seems I see a call for aquarium salt or epsom salt quite a bit (unsure which is best or used in what situations). What else?
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

filters (I have ran out and need to make an emergency stop at the store for new ones)
water conditioner
back up thermometer (if you have a glass one, I've had one break on me and I needed a new one asap).
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #3 
Creat

+1 ^
and I usually have black water extract or indian almond leaves which have come in super handy when I needed to keep a sick fish alive if I didn't have access to medicine although always having medicine on hand is good for emergency's
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 
hailukah

Of course water conditioner.

And a towel.
hailukah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #5 
Creat

ha ha i agree with the towel
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #6 
nomoretickets

i propose that we expand this thread's discussion as a means to assemble an "essentials kit" with such a kit consisting of certain items that should be kept on hand at all times by betta owners for the general welfare of their fish. The kit would be similar in essence to that of the emergency kit which all citizens are advised to keep on hand in case of a disaster (blankets, food, water, radio, medical supplies ect.) Once we get a consensus of what should be included in an essentials kit we should repost the kit in a separate thread to be stickied. just my thoughts on the matter.

p.s. sorry about the wordiness, im writing my philosophy of law term paper and thus alot of that dialect leaked into this post ;p
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 
kholder

Great idea - especially for those of us who do not have any quick access to pet supplies in an emergency. It would be nice to have a list together next time I make it into "town".
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #8 
nomoretickets

so far the indesputable essentials seem to be
water conditioner
extra thermometer
aquarium/epsom salt
towels

should we include an emergency container if your main tank cant work for whatever reason? what about basic over the counter meds? should we include the basic minimums for their actual tank as well (size, heating, filtration, decorations ect.)?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #9 
Creat

Thats a great idea. An extra heater is always important I have had problems when one breaks in the middle of winter it can end badly for the fish. And a critter keeper is always good for tank leaks. The meds I usually have on hand are and anti-fungal and anti-bacterial usually in quick dissolving tab form because they are cheaper and usually last longer plus some anti-parasite medicated pellets. oh and a net there are many times I wished I had an extra fish net.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #10 
nomoretickets

a heater is deffinitly a good idea, even if it is a cheep preset one, it can usually atleast keep your fish in livable water till you get a new one.
what anti-bacterial tabs do you keep? because most are either gram negative or gram positive. do you keep one over the other? or do you find a broadspectrum tab?

Tags
on hand, stock, supplies