Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #1 
sayurasem

white sand for betta aquarium?

can i use white sand for my substrate on my 10gal tank??
will the bettas choke?

i just saw videos by BettaMaster in youtube.... his tank is so nice with a crawfish.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I use sand to cap my soil based tanks and have never had any problems with a betta choking or anything else and I also use the natural method to spawn and have never had issues with sand in regard to eggs, fry, male...etc.....

Cleaning and keeping the sand looking nice can be a challenge however, it tend to change color as the tank matures if you don't keep it stirred up enough and if you use filtration- that needs to be turned off before cleaning so the sand doesn't get into the impeller and cause problems

If you use sand and do not plan to use live plants I would not go over half-to-one inch at most so you don't end up with anaerobic areas, however, adding trumpet snail can help to a degree or weekly poking if you use a deeper sand bed without live plants

Sand can be beautiful.......just takes a bit more work to keep it that way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #3 
aKu3

I have sandbased tanks and I hate it....lots of work!!! Don't recommend it!!!
aKu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #4 
atteb

I use a very thin layer of sand for my bettas. I don't like deep sand beds even in my discus tank.

I would not recommend white sand as it will be very hard to keep clean, I use a natural colored sand and its perfect, make sure you stir up the sand from time to time so no dead pocket form.
atteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #5 
anglnarnld

Do not get sand, I have white sand right now and it is *hard* to get the poop out of it, Im actually looking in to changing back to regular gravel . It looks nice but super hard to matian ;/
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 
JKfish

I've got white sand I got from destin, and it's easy to keep. The poop falls on to the top, and if you have a turkey baster, you just suck it up daily. Once a week during water changes, turn off your filter and run your hands through it to move it around, and stirr up the mulm before sucking out the water. It looks nice, though I'm switching to Fluorite for a planted tank (I'm going to keep the sand to use to cap a NPT I might do one day with a darker colored betta)

Bettas are really precise in getting food from the ground, he won't choke on the sand, I promise. If he ever does eat sand, he'll spit it out.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #7 
sayurasem

whats a turkey baster?
-btw i have some cleaning minions ... 7 ghost shrimps lol.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #8 
JKfish

It's a large cooking pippet typically used when cooking to suck marinade or juice or something up and then squeezed to pour over something like turkey ... You can buy them cheaply almost anywhere in any store like walmart, target, etc.

Ghosties are good cleaners, but you can't trust them to always eat poop, they typically ignore it if the other pickings are good.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote