Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #1 
vaisforlovers

Location: Retired to 140 acre farm in Hamilton TX. Raise cows. 4 cats, 3 dogs, a few sheep and 1 goat.
Question Male betta has red eyes, laying on bottom

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day - 2-4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once/week unless it needs it sooner
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra easy balance, tetra aqua safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: safe
Nitrate: safe
pH: 7.8
Hardness: soft
Alkalinity: slight

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He now has red eyes, ulcer over 1 gill
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago decreased appetite
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? less than 1 yr.

Snooks has not been eating well for 5 days. He didn't eat at all for 1 day then ate 4 pellets total 1 day and it has decreased to 0 today. His activity has gradually slowed to extremely lethargic, laying on the bottom now, every so often he acts "schizy" my term for acting a little crazy ie swimming erratically, going to the surface fast. I have been looking at him with a flashlite and magnifying glass all week and I have noticed and this sounds crazy - he looks transparent??? I can't really see thru him but every now and then its as if I can see internal organs. I know this sounds totally off the wall but that's the only way I can explain it. Tonight I can't see him like that. He looks smaller, his fins are "stuck together", not fanned out. He looks like he is dying and fast. He has gone down really quickly today and tonight at 9pm he looks as if he won't be moving again. I have only had one other betta and he died of swim bladder after only 6 months. And I have only had this one since Aug. and he was given to me because his owner could not take him with them to their new home. When I got him he seemed really small to me and he hasn't grown any since I have had him. He was active but not like my other betta. So I don't know if I inherited a sick fish and didn't notice that he was sick quick enough or if this was normal for a betta. I had a vets advice treating the swim bladder but this has happened so fast I haven't had a chance to contact one about this betta.
Any ideas? I have looked at betta illness and diseases and I didn't see anything like this nor could I pick out symptoms from what I read that were even close to what I am seeing.
Any help is appreciated even if it is too late.
thank you
Joanne
vaisforlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

Please post pictures if your betta if you can. It would be easier to understand if we got to see him in his condition.

I do recommend a 100% water change with some Aquarium salt.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 
baylee767

SO... He is lethargic, has clamped fins, loss of color, and red eyes?? Wow 0.0

Do you know for certain his age or is he a petstore Betta? My Bettas both have anturally red eyes, so maybe yours are naturally red. Is he red around the gills? Do you know exactly his ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc. levels, or do you just assume the levels are safe?

If you said he came to you like this, than maybe that's just how he naturally is. We need pics to tell what the problem is, though!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #4 
vaisforlovers

Location: Retired to 140 acre farm in Hamilton TX. Raise cows. 4 cats, 3 dogs, a few sheep and 1 goat.
I believe he is a petstore betta. I am guessing at the age as less than 1 year. He has not always had these red eyes. That's what was so astonishing to see - red eyes in him. I used a Quick Dip test strips and every time I have tested I got the results I posted. I give him adequate light all day, but should I use the light that came with the aquarium at night? I thought he would need some darkness so I have no lights on him at night. When I use the overhead light the temp. stays at 80F. Right after I posted I added aquarium salt. I will change the water too.
I will post the pictures when I can get some decent ones. So far my shots of him are not very good ie you can't really see the detail you need to see. I will keep trying until I am successful.
I thought I was losing him 20 min ago. He was just hanging with his mouth out of the water and his body pointing straight down and he wasn't moving. But he is now at the bottom. I just tried to get some pictures and I couldn't get even 1 just so you could see. I don't have a very good camera and I might try with my phone camera tomorrow. I have to go to bed now, sorry. I feel bad cuz I can't stay up with him all night.
Thanks for your fast help you guys. I will keep trying for pictures.
Joanne
Old 12-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #5 
vaisforlovers

I guess I don't know to post a picture. I click on picture icon and add URL, which is to Picasa, and it doesn't show up here when I preview my post. So I opened an album here and uploaded the picture there.
How to I get the photo into the body of my reply?
Thanks for help,(I feel like a complete idiot!!)
Joanne
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #6 
Tsuhei

If it's too difficult, just upload the picture to imageshack and then post the direct link in your next comment
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #7 
vaisforlovers

picture of Snooks

I went to ImageShack hopefully this will work

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #8 
vaisforlovers

Geez a little large but it's a good close up. You can't see what I described as transparency but I used a really bright flashlite and I'm thinking ya'll might be able to diagnose this. He does have an ulcer over the left gill and you can see it in this photo. That is the only one I see. Since I have had only 1 betta it's hard for me to diagnose anything but he certainly doesn't look normal.
Please help
Joanne
Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #9 
vaisforlovers

I just noticed that Snooks is photophobic. I had thought I had seen that last night when I was using the flashlite. Now he is swimming away from any light. Whenever he leaves the bottom he floats right under the surface of the water with his body hanging straight down but he is listing to the left. He is trying to stay afloat but can only come up for a breath of air. He is also hanging down when he goes to the bottom. That has changed from 2 hrs. ago. He is only breathing 50 times a min. He has quit blowing nest bubbles too.
I don't know if you want this much info so I will quit until you have a chance to look at the picture.
Thanks for your help
Joanne
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #10 
TaylorW

*bump!*

I don't know how to help, but I want to bump your thread up the list! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote