Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #1 
baylee767

FINALLY got a heater! *And a planted tank question*

I'll start off withe the planted tank question. I'm going to have a sorority and a divided 5 gal (For my guys) Both planted. I don't want anything to do with fake plants, it's too risky. Even silk plants can rip fins, they have plastic to support them, after all. My question is this: Can plants survive (Not necessarily grow, just survive) With gravel substrate? I'll be getting really basic plants like java fern, marimo balls, anubias, etc. And I really want gravel will it be okay?

Now I'll tell you about the heater. When my dad bought his 55g on craigslist the guy gave him a 25 watt heater. Yes, 25! It was really cold here this week for a reef tank (almost 70 degrees!) So he used it, and I told him that it was too small for that tank. He realized this and said it might raise a degree or two. It warmed up this week and I got to keep the heater, I put it in Neons tank (After is was cleaned off!) Since his is 2.5 gallons and Velvets is 1.5 gallons. I've heard the thing click on and off 5-8 times already! It's on about 50% of the time, I'd say (I don't turn it off, it automatically shuts off when the water is 82 degrees) In my dads tank it never turned off. Unfortunatly I don't have a thermometer, so I have to keep it off at night and school so if the heater malfunctions (Unlikely, but possible!) It wont cook my fish. This weekend my dads taking me to a new fish store and I'll get a thermometer then.

The water temp in my tank is probably usually in high 70s (75-78 degrees) But in the store my Bettas came from it was air conditioned, maybe down to 60 degrees in the water! 0.0 When I get a 5 gallon tank they will both be heated.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #2 
celine18

yay heaters!!! lol

they'll deffinetly grow in gravel, and you can always put root tabs in there to supplement nutrients for the roots. the substrate doesn't matter as much as light. look for 6500k cfl bulbs, in whatever wattage (for 5 gal, prolly 1 10w) and that should have your anubias sprouting new leaves quickly! (i've had about 6-7 anubias in a 10 gal, 2 10w cfl bulb tank, and almost all of them have sprouted new leaves in the past week since i've gotten them. slow growing plant, pffft)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #3 
baylee767

Let's see... the 5g tank I'm getting says its light has "4,000k" fluoresent light bulbs. I know that java ferns can survive in fluoresent, but can all plants? And, If I get these rot tab thingys how often should I change them (If at all) and can I use only those tablets on the plant and do nothing else and will they still grow good?

Thanks for the advice, celine! Any more would be helpful with my low knowlage of plants. (=
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #4 
Alex09

All the plants you just mentioned dont need ANY substrate to survive. They will do just fine in a bare bottom tank so gravel will be fine. As for lighting, My 10 gal currently has 2 java ferns. Absolutely no artificial light is used. just indirect sunlight. But then again, my room gets alot of sunshine...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #5 
baylee767

Thanks! I think my lighting should be fine (=
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #6 
baylee767

One question regarding heaters: Is it ok if real/silk plants touch a heater?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #7 
Alex09

I use both to hide the heater from view. No probs.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #8 
baylee767

Thanks! For some reason I like my heater showing... Maybe I'm trying to self conciously prove to people I use the right equipment? Or maybe it's because I want to know if it's automatically on or off. ;) Guess I'll never know... I might hide it because Neon hates being out in the open so he avoids his heater way out in the open... sometimes.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #9 
TaylorW

I'd be careful with turning the heater on and off, the temperature fluctuations could be more stressful/harmful than the water being too cold all the time!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #10 
baylee767

Um... I put my hand in the water to move something and it was slightly warm. The heater didn't malfunction and bake the tank, right?

Update: The heater was on 82 but now it's on 79. That's okay, right? My dad was saying 82 was a bit warm.