Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #1 
TaylorW

ADF Care?

I've been surfing the internet as of late, and I've been finding lots of conflicting information about African Dwarf Frogs. Some sources say you can keep 2 frogs in 1 gallon, others say 1 frog to 1.5 gallons, while some places say 2-3 frogs in a 10 gallon!

Some websites say they live alone, others say they live in groups, and honestly, I am thoroughly confused about their care.

So what do you all think? How do you care for your Dwarf frogs?
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #2 
shinybetta

With what I've heard, 1 gallon per frog, and they prefer large groups.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #3 
TaylorW

I love frogs, and these seem relatively easy to care for, so I was doing research to see if I might want one a few years down the road.... Lol, I plan pets XD

But seeing all these care discrepancies scares me, is there no reliable source of info on these froggies?

It seems like some people keep them in small tanks with bettas while others give them big 10 gallon tanks! *scratches head*

Thanks for your input shinybetta, I appreciate it :)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #4 
kaythenewbie

If you are putting them in with a betta, you'll probably want a 10 gallon. Otherwise, you could have 2 in a 5 gal. They are social, but not overly so. They're fine in groups of 2-3, but if you wanted more,you could keep a large group.

They can be pretty difficult to care for. They are nearly blind and rely on their sense of smell to find food. But that doesn't mean they'll scavenge like cories do, they are horrible scavengers. With mine, they can be right next to food and be oblivious to it. I have to hand feed them with tweezers.

They take a lot of time to care for, and you won't have a lot to show for it since they are nocturnal (you'll hardly ever see them during the day). I think they're worth the effort, but I love frogs. Let me know if you have any questions.

BTW, here's a couple links to some good info: African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding
Meet my Frogs : African Dwarf Frogs
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

They are perfectly happy living alone, but I would advise getting at least two - it's funny watching them interact. :)

I have, right now, four frogs in a five 1/2 gallon. This isn't my ideal setup, before they had babies I had two frogs in the same five 1/2 tank - that's what I'd recommend. 2 gallons per frog, mostly because I hate seeing the little guys stuffed in tiny containers. You never get to see their antics like that. Anyway, you have to get to know your frog. My four each have different personalities, some of them hunker down for the day in one spot, others are always zooming around. If you have a zoomy frog, it would need more space, if you have a frog that's retarded and can't find its own food (I do :/) you'll need long tweezers to feed it with.

They're not really bright, so they won't go insane in a small tank, however these frogs are tropical and like their water temps to be middle-high 70's, so they do need a heater. Smaller than 2 gallons = hard to heat. That's why I've got my guys in the 5.5, same as my betta gets. I don't have a light for my tank since they're nocturnal, and they seem to like it like that. However, I gave six of my babies to a guy with a lighted planted tank (huge), and in the photos he sent me, they look great. So it's up to you.

Um, food. I feed my group HBH frog and tadpole bites and frozen bloodworms. Two years of owning them, no problems. I think this diet is great although many advise more variety (I'm not really in a position to provide). The HBH pellets are soft so they won't cause impaction, and the bloodworms... well, those are the favorite. I get them frozen, again, to avoid impaction. You just can't let them thaw or spoil.

Um, wall of text. Sorry. Hope this helps.

Just to add, I see my frogs all the time. I'm not sure when they sleep, despite their nocturnal habits, but there's always at least one smashed against the glass waiting for food, or one poking around in the gravel for scraps or zipping about aimlessly.

Also, some people seem to have trouble, but I have found caring for ADFs easy and rewarding. They get about the same care level as my betta (other than feeding by hand, but I think that's really fun).

Last edited by FuulieQ; 12-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Thanks for all of the information guys! This is a lot better than what I was finding on the internet :) 2 gallons per frog seems to make the most sense, I'm glad I asked here! 10 gallons for frogs and a betta makes sense, so they can avoid each other if they wish. I honestly read about people keeping multiple frogs and a betta in pretty small containers, which didn't seem right to me...

If I ever get to upgrade to a large tank (And get out of this dorm building!!), I'd love to maybe try a frog!

Thanks for the correct care information guys!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #7 
danifacetastic

I had 2 in my 10 gallon divided three ways and they died within a week. The bettas seemed to ignore them and I was feeding them once a day so idk what happened.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #8 
TaylorW

Aww, I'm sorry about your frogs!! :( :(
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #9 
danifacetastic

That's okay. I learned my lesson. I think if I ever get frogs again though it will be a frog only tank.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

IDK about ADFs but people say cories need bigger groups...I've had single cories before and they'rre as happy as can be digging around the bottom for food.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote