Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I did some research on ADF's awhile back for TFK's fish profile section and I found that they need 5 gallons or larger. They are sensitive to their water parameters so the water needs to be monitored. They like places to hide and these shouldn't have sharp edges. I also read that if you feed the frogs in the same spot every day then they will learn where to find their food.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #12 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I did some research on ADF's awhile back for TFK's fish profile section and I found that they need 5 gallons or larger. They are sensitive to their water parameters so the water needs to be monitored. They like places to hide and these shouldn't have sharp edges. I also read that if you feed the frogs in the same spot every day then they will learn where to find their food.
Thank you Dramaqueen, very useful information! :D

I just haven't seen any good care requirements on the internet, so I thought I would ask here :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #13 
kaythenewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Thanks dramaqueen! That helped me out a lot when I got started with my frogs. I always wondered who wrote it. Thank you
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! It's probably been edited a few times since then.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #15 
bettablue

I have an adf and I put her in a 10 gal w/ my betta and she ripped his fins off so I hade to move her to a guppy tank. Idk if it's just me but I wouldn't recommend to mix an adf w/ a betta
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #16 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
I had 2 in my 10 gallon divided three ways and they died within a week. The bettas seemed to ignore them and I was feeding them once a day so idk what happened.
Were they showing any symptoms before they died? How were they behaving? It's quite possible that they had Chytrid fungus before you bought them. The people who distribute the frogs don't always take the best care of them, and many frogs that you get from the pet store already have the fungus, from what I hear. They don't live too long, or in some cases the fungus is dormant for a while and then comes out later.

I was lucky my guys have never shown any signs of chytrid, but I got them from a smaller LFS.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #17 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettablue View Post
I have an adf and I put her in a 10 gal w/ my betta and she ripped his fins off so I hade to move her to a guppy tank. Idk if it's just me but I wouldn't recommend to mix an adf w/ a betta
... That's weird. Your frog must be psychotic. xD My frogs are way too slow to catch a betta. Although they are really nearsighted, so if the betta was asleep and the frog was really close and thought the tail was food.... it could happen.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #18 
JaspersANGEL

I think those frogs are cute!
And it's true that there is not that much care info on them, I was doing some research for myself cause I was thinking of getting some one time and I could barely find any info.

But going through this whole post, I now think that maybe ADF's are not for me.
Look's like my only option is to devide my tank in the future unless I find another king betta.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #19 
Fawnleaf

I have an african dwarf frog temporally with my male betta, until I redo the sorority. Then, I will get 2 more frogs and put them in my 14 gallon. They're really awesome, if you don't mind reaching your hand down in your tank and feeding worms with tweezers!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #20 
Adastra

I think most of the users have covered a lot of the issues--ADFs are hard to feed due to their poor eyesight, need a varied diet, do best in groups, and are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters. Often you will see the frog shed its skin in reaction to these changes. As far as space goes, you will see a variety of answers to this question. They have a very low bioload, so from that point of view you could do one frog per gallon easily--but do keep in mind that these guys need space to move around and stay sane, and having a cycled, stable tank is really the best thing for them. Personally, I would not go under 5 gallons for two frogs. The tank should be fully enclosed to prevent escapes.

Another thing I wanted to emphasize is the necessity of keeping track of the temperature of the water. You need it in the range of 70-78 degrees--no higher and no lower. Too hot, and it puts a lot of strain on their bodies, too low and their metabolisms will slow down.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote