Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #1 
kholder

Feeding Habit of my New Guy - Help?

Have been feeding Shamus pellets since I got him and have one other fish in with him that eats flakes. Shamus picks at the flakes but appears to just spit them out, same with the pellets. I thought maybe the pellets were too big, so I've mashed some-making pellets smaller-and put them in. He still doesn't seem too interested.

What I notice him doing is scurrying around the bottom of the tank picking debris out of the gravel. Is this bottom feeding normal? Just got him on the 4th, color looks great and he is active.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #2 
Adastra

Can you tell me more about your setup? How big is it and what species of fish are you keeping your betta with?

Some bettas are picky eaters--it's very important to give them variety in their diets. I use two different pellet brands (New Life Spectrum and OmegaOne betta buffet pellets) along with frozen foods like blood worms, brine shrimp, and daphnia. Occasionally I will also give them live blackworms. You should try to supplement the pellets with some of the other foods I have mentioned so that you can offer your fish more complete nutrition. After all, no fish can get all the nutrients it needs from one single pellet brand.

As for getting him to eat what you've already gotten, try pre-soaking the pellets in a little tank water before you feed them to your fish. This will make them more palatable, more digestible, and help release the "smell" of the pellet into the water.

Last edited by Adastra; 12-07-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
kholder

My tank is a ten gallon/filtered/heated tank. His tankmate is a lone surviving glofish (one ince long).

I was thinking that maybe since he was used to eating in a little cup at the store that maybe I should lower his water level to about 7 or 8 inches, but then again, he's really active in ALL the space he has now.

I will try soaking the pellets for now, since that's all I have and next time I get to "town" I'll pick up some frozen goodies.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #4 
TRISHIESfishie

I had a problem with my tiny walmart rescue. He's been in a qt cup since last Monday morn. when he was finally allowed to eat, I thought I would have no problem. My other betta is like a shark when it comes to food. I figured out real fast the pellets were to big. So I crushed them. And still for 2 more days he did not eat. He paid the food no attention what so ever. Then when he finally noticed the food, he was afraid of it. he would slowly swim up to ti from below and then dart away. I continued to put his crushed pellet in his cup each night and then 1 night I happened to breath on the cup water and the pellet crumbs floated away and he began stalking them around the cup LOL! So I kept blowing until the little crumbs looked like they are swimming around and then the little betta started chasing them LOL So now he eats no problem, and I don't have to make the pellets "swim". I hope it stay easy when i move him to his tank on Thursday LOL
Good luck
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #5 
kholder

It's been five days and Shamus still not eating pellets from the top of the tank. The soaked pellets sink pretty fast and he follows them down, picks at them, but doesn't appear to be ingesting them. Sometimes I see him pick up a small pebble then spit it out, so he's definately looking for something good to nibble on.

I stopped by the tiny pet shop in the town I work yesterday to see if they might carry blood worms...I walked down there and they are closed on Wednesdays...bummer. I'll be working in another town today (no pet shop between here or there...or anywhere near), so will try again on Friday. I suppose I could have order some online by now.

Shamus still looks really good and active. I am hoping he is getting enough off the bottom of the tank to sustain him. I've got some bass in the freezer and thought about dropping a speck in the tank. I removed his tank mate as well.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #6 
scootshoot

What brand pellets? Like human consumption, we all know different brands regardless of like item tastes different. My betta used to do same thing. Originally thought pellets were too large, smashed them up and he still spit them out. I came to the conclustion he did not enjoy the taste.

On a whim I read some other Betta topics of owners having same issue. Most seemed to have luck with the Hikari Bio Gold brand which are a little more expensive compared to other pellet manufacturers. Dropped a few in and he gobbled them up.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 
kholder

Kind of funny that you mentioned brand. I had an almost full container of pellets which my bishon intentially tipped, chewed the lid off and ate. She's been after them for weeks and, absent mindedly, I left them where she could reach them. Will pick up a new/different brand tomorrow. Also have a friend that is in the city tonight and is picking up some blood worms for me. I have great hopes for a good feeding tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #8 
Malvolti

My guy occasionally eats off the bottom if he misses the pellet on its way down. For the longest time he refused to eat anything but blood worms and eventually one day he just started eating the pellets.

Now he doesn't like eating the blood worms, he'll eat maybe one when I put it in the tank and then starts asking for his pellets.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #9 
kholder

I've got the blood worms. They came in cube form. I took just a portion out of the cube and dropped them in the tank...turned out to be about 4 worms and he ate them quickly. Doesn't say on the package how much to a feeding. Any idea? He's in the tank alone and still young.

Also got a new brand of pellets. Aqua Culture. I had 3 different brands to choose from. This brands first ingredients are fish and shrimp where the other were yeast/glucose. I dropped one in but after the blood worms there really wasn't a reason to.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #10 
Min

Ok I swore I posted this but its not showing up. my bettas like betta bites by HBH. They are tiny & unlike the other brands the pellets dont stick together. Sometimes if they r too big they wont eat them.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote