Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2015, 12:37 AM   #1 
Dragon Legend

First time cleaning betta tank question.

Hello. I've recently got my first betta and I'm not sure when I'm supposed to clean his tank. I have done some research but I keep getting mixed answers. I also don't understand the percent water changes, before I used to believe that you just needed to clean the entire tank once it got dirty. My betta lives in a 3 gallon tank with a filter and live plants. Can someone please help me understand the water changes and when or how many times I have to do it. Also my tap water is filtered, so do I still need to add the water condition? Thank you.
Dragon Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:50 AM   #2 
FinnDublynn

You will still need the water conditioner, whenever you add more water. But you don't need to keep adding to previously treated water. In a 3 gallon tank, I would do a weekly 25% water change. This is to help Ammonia and Nitrate levels as they build up as even the best filtration system can't get it all. I would say that once a month or every other month, I would do maybe a larger cleanse, but as long as you wipe down the glass from algea and do 25% water changes weekly, and clean up waste often, it should be OK.
FinnDublynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 AM   #3 
Tress

Actually that's not enough. I would do two 50% changes a week. Be sure to vacuum up poop and uneaten food during the changes (which I know can be tricky in a planted tank) and match the water temp as best you can before adding the water. Also swish out your filter media in old tank water every few changes to help keep it not too gunked up, but don't change the media or you'll lose your cycle (I recommend avoiding carbon as it's only useful for removing meds from the tank after treatments). Your tank is heated right?

You will still need a good water conditioner (I recommend Seachem Prime) for your water. You will still have to treat the water add unless you're just topping off a bit.

Last edited by Tress; 03-13-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tress View Post
Actually that's not enough. I would do two 50% changes a week.
Yes, this is also what I would recommend for a 2.5 gallon filtered tank.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #5 
VivianKJean

+1 to Tress
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The frequency and amount of water changes should be determined by assessing the ammonia build-up in the tank. A 50% change when ammonia reads 0.50ppm or a 25% change when ammonia reads 0.25ppm.

A 3g with filter is going to try to cycle. The "nitrogen cycle" is exactly what you want to have happen, but you want it to be controlled. Here's how:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...torial-506714/

Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #7 
Dragon Legend

Thank you all for your answers. I didn't quite understand the thing about the filter media. Do I clean the filter and cartridge when I do the water changes? Do I also change the cartridge every week or just rinse it? Also my betta recently has done his bubble nest, is it ok to destroy it when I do the water change?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

About every one or two months, just take the filter cartridge and swish it around in old tank water. That's all you need to do to clean it; you don't want to clean it TOO well, because the beneficial bacteria colonize the filter media; you just want to rinse off some of the gunk/buildup. Opinions vary about how often to replace the cartridge, but I think we all agree that it should not be replaced nearly as often as the instructions usually say to! Some people replace it a few times a year, some people replace it once a year, some people only replace it when it starts to fall apart/disintegrate. I've had my tank set up for a few years, and I've actually never changed my filter cartridge, though I do have a bunch of aquarium sponge in there with it, so it may not go through as much "wear and tear" as other setups.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #9 
Tress

You want to just swish the filter media in old tank water to get debris and gunk off. What kinda of cartridge is it?

Don't worry about destroying nests, they often rebuild them :)
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #10 
Dragon Legend

It says the filter cartridge is a medium bio bag