Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #11 
scootshoot

@TaylorW, good read! This part was particularly interesting...thanks for sharing!

For a start, Dr Brown says the three-second memory of goldfish is a myth: "It's completely ridiculous that an animal could survive without a memory."
Fish are so clever, Dr Brown says, that those schooled in survival skills can even teach their captivity-raised peers how to get by in the sea.
To help prove his theories, Dr Brown put rainbow fish into a tank with a mock trawler net with a single hole and watched how long it took them to find an escape route.
"Without any prior experience the fish learned where the hole was in about five runs," he says.
A year later, the same fish managed to find the hole on their first try, which Dr Brown says shows they easily recalled the skills they had learned.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #12 
Aluyasha

I agree, Bettas are smart. My betta, Abacus, even remembers what day I do not feed him. He begs for food everyday execpt for tuesdays. And Melvin now jumps in the little cup when I go to clean his tank. Mine also like to play with the laser light I bought for the cats!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #13 
TRISHIESfishie

I don't know about how smart they are, but they have good memories. I 1st betta adores me (or atleast the food I bring him). Whenever he sees me he rushes over and follows my movement (I get the sense of a cat rubbing against your leg). And me new little one is terrified of me because he associates me with something traumatic. So whether it's good or bad, your fish remembers you LOL!
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 AM   #14 
small fry

Tony is always sad when I leave. He is happy when I get back. When multiple people are in my room, even if others are closer to him then I am, he always stares at me. Same feeding spot. Same excited wiggle when he sees I am getting out the betta food. Crazy enough, I think he remembers when he was at my lfs inside that small koi tank (although, I have no evidance of that one)!

I think we have busted the 3 second memory myth. Bettas are intelligent!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #15 
jpicking1

i do not think the memory thing proves how smart the fish can be. my new betta was smart enought o take 6 fake lilly pads that float around the tank and build a bubble nest to bind them all together so they will not float around no more so he can sleep under them. thats pretty smart right there.

P6270023 by jpicking, on Flickr
i realy need a betta log the petco near me did nto have them on hand so i order one online just waiting for it
jpicking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #16 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
@TaylorW, good read! This part was particularly interesting...thanks for sharing!
Thanks Scootshoot, I'm glad I'm not the only one that found those articles interesting, I felt like a nerd XD
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #17 
Juneii

I think having good memory certifies as being smart. I easily taught my betta to jump for his food. And they do recognize their owners or at least recognize the difference between people who approach their tank. Neptune is generally more reluctant to jump if he doesn't recognize the finger hovering above his tank.
Juneii is offline   Reply With Quote