Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #1 
Meg215

2 Bettas in 1 cup =( sad

The story is we went to the mall today and I stupidly..knowing I really cant handle more bettas, went and looked at them anyways. There were 2 white bettas in 1 cup and the less dominant of the two was pretty badly torn up. I let the Store ower know ad he rectified it but I felt so bad I bought the torn up one. =/ I'm an owner currently of 3 other bettas so I know the normal care but none have been sick really or been this torn up.

So I'm going to put pics at the end. Advice on how to help him would be great. Currently he is still in the bag, floating in a 1.5 gallon, heated at 80* that I conditioned and put 1tsp aq salt. (Before anyone freaks out my 2.5 gallon believe it or not, shattered when I filled it not 15 minutes ago. =( I'm so bummed.)

Also I'm going to post another thread to see if there are any PDX or closeby that wants to adopt him. But will only give him to an experienced owner from this forum. Here's hoping theres someone willing near me.

Okay without further ado...here's the pics:

Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #2 
nomoretickets

awwww poor guy! that is terrible. he looks like he would be really good looking he wasnt all jacked up. all the idiot rednecks around here make it a weekend drunken activity to go to walmart and have betta fights in the fish department. as far as care goes do daily 100% water changes and dose 1 tsp/gallon of aq salt and feed him a diet high in protein. all of this will keep his fins from becoming infected while the protein promotes faster fin growth.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #3 
nomoretickets

also you might want to wrap the sides of his aquarium with a towel so he cant see out. In my experience with treating sick and injured fish this helps them feel safer and less stressed. The more stressed your fish is, the less able he will be to fight off infections.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I don't have any advice, but that's just so sad! Poor little guy. =( I'm glad you saved him.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #5 
Meg215

Thank you Nomoretickets. Im glad I did the right salt dosage! I remembered reading it on here before. =) I have frozen Bloodworms & Brine shrimp, Freezedried bloodworms and Betta Biogold pellets. So I think we should be covered with protein. I tend to stay away from the freezedried. We got them in Jan when I first started with bettas and quickly learned they weren't good. :/

Thanks Sweeda88, This petstore is notorious for poor living conditions of all of their animals. I knew I shouldnt go in but now I'm glad I did. The sad thing is that the owners seemed genuinely shocked that their were two bettas in the cup....what shocks me is that they didnt notice. It shows you they probably dont even feed them everyday. =(
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Wow, that's terrible. If they have to keep them in cups due to space issues, they need to at LEAST keep the water clean and nearly to the brim, and feed them daily! I don't hate pet stores for keeping Bettas in cups until they're sold, but I do hate it when they don't do it properly.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #7 
Meg215

Man do I feel sad for all the other bettas still there. I finally after acclimating him for about 1 1/2 put him in the tank and the water in the bag smelled so foul! Smelled really moldy too. I bet the ammonia levels were crazy with two fish in there. Wish I couldve taken both. :(
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Yeah, that's terrible. Even one of the Walmarts near me takes better care of their Bettas than that. They are in cups, but the water is crystal clear, the cups are nearly full (only about 1/2 inch is empty), and they are on a rack so that no one can stack them. Same with the Petco near me. On the other hand, there is a Walmart near me that only has them in an inch of dirty water, they are on a shelf where people can stack them, and they are ALL in poor health. It's so SAD!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #9 
WashingtonCowgirl

@ Meg215- Where in Oregon are you? I have an extra tank, and would be willing to adopt him once he's ready. I am in south west Washington, about a half hour south of Olympia, but maybe we could meet halfway? Let me know :)
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #10 
Meg215

WashingtonCowgirl- I live in Gresham, Oregon. Quite a drive. I'll be visiting La Center Wa in a week or so but I dont anticipate having enough gas to drive farther then that. Thank you for your offer though. If something happens that I am able to drive farther I will definitely let you know. =)