Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Question Shipping a Betta

Okay, after exploring my options (Sorry for all the thread posts) I have decided that the best solution for my fish is to ship him if I can't get a friend to watch him. All the airlines are really anal about the pet policy, only allowing cats, dogs, birds, and rabbits. Nothing else! So I found the option of shipping a fish. Now, I live in Hawaii to attend college. I am heading back to Oregon and am wondering if anyone could help me out on how to ship my Betta, Link.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Here's a good link:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=35196

Remember only use a heat pack if necessary, double bag your betta, starve him a few days before shipping and only give him an inch or two of water in the bag....the rest needs to be air.

Some tips:
Wrap the bags in newspaper and then but him in the shipping box.

Lay your betta horizontally (so make sure there's enough waterto cover him no matter what direction the bag is in) this is how the Thai breeders ship.

Another idea I'll use when I ship is to put the heat pack on the bottom wrapped in newspaper, add a black trash bag (open) into the box, fill it with a little shredded paper, place the fish bags in, close the bag and tuck it into the box add the styro lid and tada!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure who you have to contact but I believe in Hawaii you still have special customs or something that you have to go through and pay to ship to and fro the main land with live animals and plants...a friend of mine that live in Hawaii had to pay an extra 5 buck or something...I have lost contact with her and can't remember the details...I would contact and talk with who you plan to ship with and make sure of what hoops you have to jump through even though it is still the US.....something to do with invasive species or something like that it may just be receiving to Hawaii and not shipping out of Hawaii...but if you are going back to Hawaii after the holidays......sorry...I know not much help......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

I confess I know just about nothing in this area. :/

BUT.

I do recommend you use UPS or FedEx. Don't use USPS.

Also here's a great video that exemplifies packaging.
I don't think it's winter packaging but it is packaging so it should give you a general idea.

You'll want to look up brands of heat packs and find out which ones are safe for fish and what not and how long they work for.

You'll definitely want overnight shipping or something of the sort.

Other than that I haven't the foggiest. Good luck with this.

Oh! And I've got a weird idea.....

Do you have any professors that you've gotten close to? Or have you tried talking to a professor in the marine biology department at your school?
Chances are they might sympathize with you and watch your boy if you paid them. =] It might actually cost less than shipping if money is tight.

just an idea though. =]

How long is your Winter Break?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

And here's a place where you can buy some heat packs. =]

Also I know this is pretty obvious but be careful when unpacking your boy so that you can use the same box to send him back to college with you. =]

And it's so cool that you go to school in Hawaii! :D

I TOTALLY missed Mr. Vampire's link up there. XD SO my links are unneeded as they pretty much say the same thing. :P

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 12-14-2010 at 06:27 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 
rogue619

You should also most definitely use these http://www.novalek.com/kordon/breathing_bags/index.htm just in case.
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Breathing bags are good (I've used them and have recieved fish with them) but regular bags are fine too. Breathing bags tell you not to leave air in the bag but there needs to be air in the bag...a must for shipping bettas.
Also USPS is the only place I know that accepts fish...you can ship FedEx and UPS but you must not label the box with Live Fish....I am considering using FedEx...alot of discus breeders ship them via FedEx and discus are fragile fish so they must be good!

Last edited by MrVampire181; 12-15-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Check this link too: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=57425

Tags
long distance, shipping, travel