Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1 
Colibri

Clamped fins, salt treatment?

Hi everybody.

Well, I have a problem with two girls living in my sorority tank. One of them is in a hospital bowl right now, the other one is still on the tank. Their fins are really clamped and both are stressed (at least one of them is showing the stress stripes). Both have good appetite and aren't bloated. I brought them home on Tuesday and they all seemed to get along fine. I was thinking the stupid heater did something to them because it wasn't working fine and they spent the first night with 22C (71~72F). Then throughout the day it came to 25C (77F) but then dropped again to 22~21C at noon because I took the heater back, it just wasn't working right. It is now stable and everything is fine. What can I do to make them better? Do I need to quarantine them both? The sorority is a 10 gallon tank and there are 4 girls there right now, I'm planning to add one more next week but I'm breeding her in a few days. A friend of mine suggested me to give them both a 30 second salt bath, but, I'm not sure about it. I hope the warm water will do the trick because I'm not noticing any other type of symptom.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you have been doing the needed water changes and maintaining the water quality from the start you may only need to give them some time and a couple of 50% water only changes to see if they won't perk up for you...otherwise-QT and do a salt treatment 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...I would not spawn the sick fish and if you are planning a spawn I would not buy anymore females so you will have room for the new females from the spawn as they grow to use for the sorority.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #3 
Colibri

Thank you OFL! Oh no, my female betta I'm planning to breed is completely healthy. The sorority is new and she hasn't been with the other girls ever. Do I use aquarium or marine/sea salt?
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sodium Chloride (aquarium salt)1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote