Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #1 
Ethan

The post made for swimbladder disorder

I have made this post due to so many people having bettas with swim bladder problems. I will explain what this disease is and will try to answer as many answers as I can.

What is the swim bladder?
The swim bladder is what that anghors the fish to swim properly and makes it easier to swim and without it the fish would slowly degrade until death.

What is swim bladder disorder?
swim bladder disorder comes when pockets of air enter the disgestion system of the fish and blocks the food from passing through the pressured air. And this causes the fish to float or not swim properly.

Is there a cure for this disease?

There is one that I have heard of many times. The pea cure the pea helps the digestion of the fish and so that any trapped air inside the fish allowing it to float will pass through and allow the fish to swim properly.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #2 
Ethan

You can also fast the fish for about 3 days with the pea cure.

Here I have quoted a person from yahoo if you are interested in reading this whole article here it is.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2100206AASZYCf

(Here it is)
"Swim blader disorder" is a fairly useless term. The fish will have trouble controlling its bouyancy for a number of reasons, all of which tend to get lumped into "swim blader disorder". Constipation, overeating, bacterial infection, viral infection, temporary temperature rise, stress, genetic predisposition, and malfunctioning ducts can all cause "swim blader disorder", and none of them will have the same treatment. Constipation is by far the most common, and will generally be accompanied by abdominal swelling. If it is constipation, the peas and high-fiber diet Dabomb suggested would be a good choice. Bacterial infections are fairly uncommon, but can be treated with medicated food, either storebought, or home made (soak the food in kanamycin, nitrofurazone, metronidazole, tetracycline, minocycline, oxytetracycline, or others). If the temperature is too high, obviously, turn the heater down, and consider floating frozen water bottles in the tank. There is nothing you can do about genetics, viral infections, or malfunctioning ducts, however.

(back to me)
although I do not agree with every yahoo post acourse including anything betta related..... this is the best post I have found on yahoo and it is describing swim bladder disorder.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #3 
Ethan

If anyone as any questions please post. It may save your betta
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #4 
Ethan

If your reading and want this post to live please bump it is is very informative and please correct me if you find anything I did not explain enough
Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had 2 bettas that had SBD and they were fine except for floating on their sides off and on. I fed mine daphnia which is a more natural alternative to peas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #6 
Ethan

thanks for replying do you think I did a good job summing up what swimbladder disorder is?

Last edited by Ethan; 12-16-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #8 
Ethan

Thankyou I wanted to make sure I did.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #9 
Dragonlady

Great post, Ethan! I think overfeeding is one of the main causes of swim bladder disorder. Fasting the betta for 3 days and then feeding a small piece of the inside of a cooked pea is a good treatment, but daphnia is known to be high in fiber, too. Fish with shorter bodies are more prone to SBD.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #10 
Adastra

Agreed with Dramaqueen, frozen daphnia and brine shrimp are just as effective as peas with the advantage that the fish can actually digest and derive nutrients from them.

Also, it is important to remember that proper feeding is not just about quantity--it is about quality. Bettas can easily become constipated and bloated as a result of freeze dried foods, flakes, and sometimes pellets because they have not been properly rehydrated before feeding. It is my opinion that one should never use freeze-dried foods since there are better alternatives that don't include the danger of severe constipation. If you do choose to include freeze-dried foods, always soak them first. This will prevent a lot of stress for you and your betta.

Your betta's diet should also regularly include sources of fiber like daphnia and brine shrimp, not just when they're feeling constipated. Routinely giving your betta peas before "fasting day" is not necessary, neither is the fasting day itself, if you are feeding your bettas high quality food with lots of variety.

If you're stuffing your betta with low quality pellets, freeze-dried foods, and keeping him or her in cool temperatures, you're going to run into problems. Avoid the obvious pitfalls with a little common sense and empathy for your finned friends, and when in doubt--research. That's just basic husbandry.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote