Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Christmas Party: WARNING SMALL COUSINS

So tonight is Christmas Eve at my house and my moms side of the family comes over...
I have several younger cousins ranging from 10, to 3...

Each of them is a ADHD nut job (I swear they should be on Super Nanny) because if they don't get their way they'll destroy something or have a tantrum (Talking about the younger ones... the 10yr old is more sneaky).
Not saying they're bad kids... just... annoying and you shouldn't put them in a room alone with fine china for too long or else... *Crash*

They've found out I have a fish... (Their mom (My First cousin and always sorta been my older sister (Sorta, I mean I call her 'Sis') is a friend on FaceBook of mine.) And I KNOW 'Sis' to give herself a moment with 'Twix'... kidding to give herself a breather, she'll say "HEY! Why don't you go upstairs with your older cousin and he'll show you his new fish tank!"

Bottomline:
These kids have VERY SHORT FUSES, Sticky Fingers for touching things... and once they see the tank I know they'll want to linger... trying to outwait me so they can fool around with the tank (I'm an artist I have alot of... probably horrible things in my room which could be picked up and dropped in the tank and instantly kill Drax. Like oooh dirty brushes, oils, charcoal, canvas, paintthinner, rocks, wires...)
These kids killed snails... when they had them as pets.
And Hermit Crabs... (Shell cracking cuz the brats were curious).
(Also not all of them are 'Sis's kids just... hers are the older more sneaky ones).

Resolution:
Should I just lock my bedroom door from the inside (I know how to pick the lock from the outside) and pretend I don't even have a fish... or explain to them VERY STERNLY...

"Now children... I just cleaned the tank glass... *Turns on light and shows small case of talcum* When you leave if I find prints... *Evil smirk* I'm taking one of your gifts... and touching it myself *Wields sludge hammer* MWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

What? I'm protective of whats mine! I'm like a dragon... I hoard things and don't like people touching them! He's my fish and I don't want little kids within 10ft of the tank...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 
spongebob

i can understant your protectiveness and i would be thesame
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #3 
fishman12

If it's not too much trouble, I would lock it. My tank has to have chicken wire so my cat can't mess with the baffle.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #4 
xswornxoffxjello

I would personally try to make emergency plans to have someone take care of him during the party, like putting him in a gallon jar and giving him to them before the party. If it's too late for that, or you don't know anybody who would, then I'd say lock it from the inside.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #5 
IrishRose2124

Personally I would lock the door from the inside. Saves the trouble of disturbing your fish and it'll keeps the kids from bothering him.
IrishRose2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #6 
FishyFriend1

this exact same thing that happened to me when we hosted christmas last week. we were putting coats in my room and the kids thought they would play hide and go seek in my room. stupidly, i put my betta right in view from the door...... the sticky finger prints, cookie crumbs, and bloated-ness of my fish said it all.

LOCK YOUR DOOR AND TELL THEM NOT EVEN TO TRY TO GET IN!!!!!! AND THEN THREATEN THEM WITH PRESENTS!!!!
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFriend1 View Post
this exact same thing that happened to me when we hosted christmas last week. we were putting coats in my room and the kids thought they would play hide and go seek in my room. stupidly, i put my betta right in view from the door...... the sticky finger prints, cookie crumbs, and bloated-ness of my fish said it all.

LOCK YOUR DOOR AND TELL THEM NOT EVEN TO TRY TO GET IN!!!!!! AND THEN THREATEN THEM WITH PRESENTS!!!!
*High Fives*

I'll lock the door and say Drax is sleeping... He's been fed so he should be fine till the party is over.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #8 
DormDrax

Nope...

Went upstairs and they followed me... though... I did the "Touch the glass and you have to let me have a present of yours." line and they were very good... cept for the youngest... he lost his shoes at some point and his mom (My Cousins wife) was like. "Maybe he left them upstairs." And I almost scream out. "OH GOD HE PUT THEM IN THE TANK!" ... he didn't though... they were in the basement under the sofa haha... oh... good christmas Eve....

To All and all a good night *Chugs Wine* MERRY CHRISTMAS... HAPPY HOLIDAYS... SEASONS GREETINGS or whatever you politically correctly want me to say hahaha just have a good weekend! CHEERS Ya'LL!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

I'm glad it went okay. Merry Christmas!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #10 
bloo97

Lock your door or hide the tank behind some art or something. Or, you could tie the kids to a chair...lol
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote