Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #1 
JKfish

Sorority Tail issues?

My girls aren't doing so hot. For the most part their fins are sort of healing, but not well. Foxy's fins look really thin and she might have ich, and Aurora has finrot.

Not the black kind, but like mold, sort of like white and puffy pom-poms on her fins where they were healing. The finrot just popped up today, she was fine in the morning when I checked up on them to feed them before school, and now she's got fungusy fins. Same with Jaffa. Jaffa's finrot popped up overnight last night, so before leaving for school I put her in a tubberware with 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. The fin rot on her is gone now, but her fins aren't healed so I'm not sure I want to put her back.

I'll treat aurora with the floating tubberware of water with aq salt, and I'm not sure how I'll fix Foxy. >.< I don't know if she has ich, there are maybe 3 little white dots on her tail, they remind me of ich, but I can't be sure, there is none on her body, and none on the other girls.

The tank has slight ammounts of aq salt, and I was going to do a water change today to remove the rest seeing as it's been about 5 days. However, I might do a larger water change and add more salt.

Apart from the tails, they look fine, they're colored, active, eating, and I'm seeing eggs in the ligher colored girls... Phoebe is doing perfectly fine in there, no fin issues at all.

Params: Ammonia: 0 NitrItes:0 NitrAtes: less than five more than 0
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #2 
sayurasem

my veil female's tail are also ripped a little bit.
its common for female sorority for missing tail/fin.
my double tail female is a bully in the whole 10gal aquarium (i think cuz she got short tails) and bully others with longer tail/fin like my veil.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #3 
JKfish

I know nipped fins are normal, but extreme fin rot that comes out of nowhere and thinning fins and possible ich is not, especially in good water quality.

Speaking of ich... I checked again and now I can't see the 3 white dots on Foxy's tail >.< (am I going insane?)
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 
JKfish

I took some pics of Jaffa, Aurora and Foxy to show you what I mean.

I put Jaffa and aurora back into the tank after I did a 25% water change and added 3 1/2 tsp of aq salt. In their tubberwares the fungus-y finrot fell off, pretty much taking the part of the fin it was on with it, which really sucks because the fins were healing really nicely before they got rotten.

Oh, and those white spots are pieces of dust and stuff on the glass, don't worry about that

Aurora: She had it on her dorsal, now you can see she's close to dorsal-less :(
Name:  sick2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  35.9 KB

Jaffa: She had the fungus on the front half of her dorsal, that part is missing now too.
Name:  sick3.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  34.5 KB
(*notice Phoebe is the only one who looks really nice out of the four.... her fins are healing perfectly :P*)

Foxy: I'm not sure what's up with her, but it looks like her tail is thinning some, and almost becoming transparent in patches.

Name:  sick4.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  28.5 KB

Any ideas how to fix all this?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #5 
JKfish

Aurora might have parasites! >.<

I just did a massive (90%) water change after removing phoebe and Foxy into tubberwares (Jaffa and Aurora were in tubberwares already with 1 tsp of aq salt per gallon). I did the water change because I'm convinced something is in the water causing these fin issues (Jaffa and aurora and Foxy have finrot, Foxy might have ich, and her tail is thinning in clean water). I look at aurora, and she has a looooong string of white clear poop running out of her.... Darn it!! Plus the fin rot on Aurora and Jaffa, even in the salty water isn't going away! There's still white fuzzy stuff on their fins.

help, please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix all this!

edit: for now they're all still in the tubberwares floating, and I'll keep them in there to be safe until I have some help.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-13-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #6 
JKfish

:P Jaffa jumped out of her tubberware into the tank (thank god the cover was on) and so there goes my idea of waiting for help. Phoebe and Foxy are going in soon (hopefully the clean water will help with Foxy's fin rot), but I'm keeping aurora out. She's got more poop coming out, and it's clear and stringy. Any advise, any ideas? anything at all?!

Help me.

edit.... wait... is it possible her white poop is because of her eggs? Maybe she re-absorbed them and is now pooping white?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't panic yet. lol Yeah, it could very well be from eating eggs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote