Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #1 
drag

Betta and algae eaters

Hi, I have a five gallon aquarium that is fairly new, but its already growing fuzz algae on the plants. (It has a strong light and is near a window, but does not get direct light from it)

All I have in it now is a betta, and I would like to add 4 kuhli loaches. Its heavy planted, has a carbon filter, and a bio-wheel, and it cycles 75 gallons an hour.

Would adding 1 - 2 otos be too much. (I know the load would be more than the 1 inch per 1 gall rule, but from everything I've read I don't quite buy that, and will be keeing u on water quality).

Do bettas and otos get along?

Thanks, drag
drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #2 
GalaxyGirl

You cant add 4 kuhli loaches to a 5g, I think they need like 30g tanks? Not sure about Otos. I would just add some tiny tetras if you want companions, other than that the betta would be fine and shrimp (other than ghost) would be a good addition.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #3 
Falina

I wouldn't add the kuhlies because of the size of the tank.

I'm sure Ottos would be fine because they tend to keep to themselves but they can be difficult to acclimatise.

I would be wary of the tetras. One of my previous bettas hated anything "swimmy" but didn't mind anything bottom dwelling. Basically, Bettas are quite unpredictable. Some won't entertain anything in their tank, whereas some will be fine with pretty much anything other than more male bettas.

Amano shrimp would eat the algae and you could put 2-4 in there no problem.

Good luck. :)
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #4 
drag

Hmm. Thanks. From what I had read online, and some of the advice I had gotten on this site I thought a 5 gall for 4 kuhli's would work. Especially since I have LOTS of hiding places.

Thanks again. I may just do the ottos. I'm not too big of a fan of tetra's yet, not unless I had a big species tank for them, that would be interesting.
drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #5 
bettamad

5 gallons is far too small for a betta and 1 loach never mind 4!

Also, 5 gallons is the MINIMUM for a betta, they prefer bigger tanks though.

Its not all about your filtration system and hiding places, its also about space too. Trust me, your betta wouldn't be a happy fishie and would most likely have a go at the fish disturbing it.

Hi btw way :D
bettamad is offline   Reply With Quote