No way! You need to study and one dorm fish is enough! 2 11.76%
No, you don't need the extra responsibility. 1 5.88%
Yes, but you need to keep your priorities straight. 9 52.94%
Yeah!!! Go betta crazy!! :D 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #1 
TaylorW

Yes or No to another Betta?

So I live in a dorm room at a college that's an hour away from my house. I come home every weekend, and I leave my betta at school. He's in a heated 2.5 with live plants and he gets frozen food every day <3

I do water changes once every 2-3 days, and my fish is doing well!

I have an little spot on my desk that I think I could clear for another betta, but I was wondering what you all think... Should I concentrate more on studying and devoting more love and care to my one betta, and not take on anymore responsibility? Or should a get another betta?

I don't think my parents or my boyfriend want me to get another because I REALLY should be focusing more on school instead of fish, but I have room in my heart and room on my desk <3

What do you all think? New betta next semester? Or spoil my one betta rotten and study hard?
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Honestly, if you can handle it, go for it. I have a hamster, three ferrets, two bettas, and two cats and I take 17 credit hours per semester and already have a BA and am also getting a job with the TSA. It's easy if you're organized.

Go for it.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #3 
TaylorW

Hehe, I am totally NOT organized, chronically late on everything! :P

But I really don't think a few minutes of cleaning another tank when I clean my other fish's tank would be a big deal.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #4 
baylee767

If you decide to get a 5 gallon tank and cycle it you can split it (like I'm planning to) And get less work than your current 2.5 gallon tank! How? Becuase than you can keep both Bettas in it and still have each get 2.5 gallons, and if it's cycled you never have to do 100% water changes, so no washing out the gravel, plants, ornaments, etc.!

You could just have your current 2.5 gallon tank as back up in case something occurs. Heres the link to a 5 gal that I like that you may like:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

You'd probably have to do work until the tank is cycled. The method of cycling I'm using that's simple to do is:

1. place raw shrimp in pantyhose/mesh bag (Nothing with dye!) and place in tank

2. Once ammonia reaches 8 ppm remove shrimp

3. Once ammonia and nitrites are 0 ppm and nitrates are 10-20 ppm do a 50% water change (NOTE: don't change the water at ALL until this step)

Simple, quick way to cycle tank, simple tank with less care than your current one. You'd probably have to make your own dividers, though, because most don't seem to work well. As I'm almost certain you know, no 100% water changes in a cycled change EVER unless some emergency occurs, because that ruins the cycle.

Hope I helped!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #5 
TaylorW

I know this sounds dumb, but I am scared to death of filters and cycling. I'd rather be sure the water is clean by changing it myself than sitting there and testing with expensive test kits hoping my water is safe....And I don't have room for a big 5 gallon tank, I was planning on putting one 2.5 in one place the other somewhere else... And I couldn't transport a 5 gallon easily in my car, and I like to take my fish home sometimes :)

And a big tank is expensive, all I need to pick up to have another 2.5 up and going is a heater and fish :) I also find manually cleaning the tank kind of therapeutic, it's a good way to relieve stress from homework and college life :)

But thanks for trying! :)

Hehe, it's obvious from re-reading this that I have some kind of fear of large tanks! XD

Last edited by TaylorW; 12-05-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #6 
TheSecondOne

1 fishy is okay for now, I think.
TheSecondOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #7 
DormDrax

Just stick with one...

With my Huge Tank now my parents are already asking if I want more fish...

Thinking about it, and how I'm still so new at this... My plan is that if Drax lives to see 2011. I'll Go for it! And get him some playmates, if he ... I'll start over with one...... but I don't plan on starting over haha.

Just wait for school to finish out haha I've got finals and wasting too much time with Drax. So glad he's home, even if my parents just feed him... 10Gals wouldn't need to be changed. For a week.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #8 
TaylorW

Thanks guys, I love hearing all of your opinions! Keep them coming! :)

I am still on the fence as to if I'll get another fish, but don't worry, I won't just randomly buy one anytime soon! :) I take responsibility for my pets very seriously, and I wouldn't bring one home unless I was positive I could take care of it.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #9 
CrankyFish84

Don't be scared of filters :) I was scared because I baffled it once so much water started coming out the top, but I caught it in time before I left the house. *DOH!*
But the water lightly flowing is a relaxing noise & good for your chi energy :)

I like manually cleaning too though & getting it all purty.

I'd say go for it, 2.5 or 5, if you have the spare time...You can get a cute day planner (technology be darned lol) for organizing, I <3 to make lists...something rewarding about scratching off tasks...
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Well, I definitely won't get another this semester, too much work with finals coming up! But maybe next semester.... Although Victor could stand to be spoiled a bit more :P

Aww, I love the cute day planner idea! I could use one of those now! :)