Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #1 
AliciaH

lighting for planted tank

I want to put florescent light in my aquarium, which is planted. It is a 10 gallon tank (divided for two bettas). Anyone have suggestions on what to use? I am also a beginner with the plants...
AliciaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

What you want is a Compact Fluorescent bulb.

You're gonna want a Daylight (6,500 K) bulb with around 20-25 watts. This way you have about 2 watts per gallon. =]

What kind of planted tank do you have? =]
NPT?
High Tech?
Low Tech?

What plants do you have in there?

Can you post pictures? =] We love pictures! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

For live plants on a 10gal tank you want at least 20watts and 6500-6700kelvin Cf bulb
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #4 
AliciaH

thanks

is this something that i can just screw into the incandescent fixture that came with the tank or do I need a new fixture?

Here are a couple pictures of each side of the tank... flourite substrate, anibus, water sprite, another floater I cannot recall the name of... I am probably forgetting something but maybe you can tell from the photos what all is in there. I also planted some top fin assorted bulbs yesterday, lol
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

A CFL bulb is the swirly bulb that most people use nowadays instead of the round bulbous ones. =] They're often called "Green" or "Eco-friendly".
They're made to screw into regular incandescent fixtures throughout the home. So yes it should screw into the incandescent socket in your tank. =]

You need to make sure you get one with a 6,500 Kelvin rating though. It'll tell you on the box what kind of K (Kelvin) rating it has.

If it doesn't say anything on the box about the Kelvin rating take the bulb out and look on the plastic part.

If it's not there look at the box again and it should say Daylight somewhere on the box. =]

You'll most likely need to look at your local Lowes or Home Depot though as I've not seen any daylight bulbs at my local walmart. Or at least not any lower wattage ones.

Good luck! =]
Old 12-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #6 
AliciaH

Great... I was hoping it would be the same as "regular" bulbs around the house :) thank you so much for the information!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #7 
AliciaH

I was able to find at lowes CFL 6500K that comes in 13 w - it says this replaces a 60w bulb. I got two 13w bulbs since there are two sockets on the fixture to equal 26 watts. I am now confused though about the watts it (cfl) says it replaces... is this too much light now because it would be like replacing 120 watts? they also had cfl 7 watt bulbs...
Old 12-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

well the replacement wattage doesn't matter.

You have about 26 watts so you're good on light. =]

And where did you get your 10 gallon? =] I want a hood with 2 incandescent fixtures in it! =]
Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #9 
AliciaH

It's a top fin brand 10 gallon kit that came with heater and all that good stuff... I got it at petsmart.
Thanks for reassuring me... I thought I was on the right track until I started to think about it too much, lol. The bulbs are in and it looks great! Thanks again!