Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #1 
jpicking1

will soon be a first time betta owner

i been wanting a betta fish for a bit now been doing a lot of research and found your guys forums. great info here. i wanted to link what i plan on getting see what you guys think.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653
this is the 5 gallan tank i am thinking of purchasing do you think this will be big enough? would he filter that comes in it be to strong? also i would like to add a fern or 2 and mayby later on a aferican drawf frog.... not entirely sure on this but seems like live plans is the best way to go. i am only wanting 1 betta fish by t he way. to start off on at least i may get antoher tank and another fish later on if everything works out on the first one. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr this is the heater i am thinking about getting think it be to strong ? water condinter and gravel and so on is there anything else you guys think about i should buy? o see someone else on the forums selling gravel a filter fake plants for 20 bucks think that be a good starter for me?
jpicking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #2 
darkangel216

Seems like a good tank to me, and 5g is plenty of room for your betta. Live plants are good, though I can't tell if the tank comes with a flourescent bulb or not. Fake plants are good as well if you don't want to go the live plants route.
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #3 
jpicking1

it seems to come with a incandescent bulb
jpicking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #4 
darkangel216

I probably wouldn't put any live plants in it then, unless the tank is near a window where it can get a little natural light. If that's the case, then you'll want low light plants like anubias and java fern/moss.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Thank you so much for researching before buying your fish!! Your betta will love you for it! <3 Thank you so much! :)

If you're going for big, low maintenance live plants, I'd go with Java Ferns! I have some in my tank in my dorm, and they're doing great! I have no special lighting, I don't add plant food, nothing. They also don't need to be planted in substrate (planting them too deep can actually kill them!), and can be attached to other decorations in your tank. Very cool plants!

That's a very nice tank you've picked out, I'm sure your betta will love it! You might want to buy the tank first and get the nitrogen cycle going in it before you buy your fish, we have a sticky on it at the beginning of this section.

I wouldn't buy that heater, it's not adjustable, so you can't set it to whatever temperature you want. Some people on this forum have also had issues with those heaters, sometimes they don't even get the water above 76 degrees.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #6 
darkangel216

Wow, I didn't realize that java ferns are able to thrive without sunlight or a flourescent light. I always assumed low light plants would still need a little bit; I learned something new today! :D
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Well, I have an LED desk lamp above the tank, which really shouldn't work on plants, and the rest of the light they get is just ambient light... Which their isn't much of in a dorm.

The get some light, but very little.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #8 
darkangel216

Ah, I see.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #9 
JKfish

go for an adjustable 25 watt heater, those are probably best.

Water conditioner, I would advise Prime by seachem, it' only uses 2 drops per gallon, so it'll last a while.

1Fish2fish is selling pretty cheap gravel and fake plants for a good price, you should look into that :D .

live plants wise, you should look into getting some fluorecent lights if you are going to buy other live plants apart from java ferns, java moss or anubias.

As for tankmates, make sure you have a lot of hiding spots, bettas can get aggressive.

You'll definately want to baffle the filter that comes with it, or find a way to keep the intake tube lifted up to slow down the current, which is pretty strong unbaffled.

Take about a month once you get it to set it up and cycle it before getting your betta, cycled tanks only need one water change per week.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 
SemioticSleep

Your going to be such a great betta owner, most people don't even care to get them a big tank first and put them in small ones (like me-.-) I had mine in just 1g tanks but now my hunny's have been upgraded to a 5g tank. Your awesome!
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote