Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 
Miharu
Banned

Calling all Betta Health Experts!! I Really Need your help!!!

I was in petco today getting females for my sorority and there was a petco employee going through the bettas and disposing of the couple dead ones... Well he picked up a betta to dispose of and I noticed the betta moving... I stopped him and said that bettas still alive, he looked at it and said "Yea for now but look at him, he'll be dead soon" So I asked if I could have him, since he was "going to die soon anyway" they made me fill out an adoption form thing, but I got him for free!

Honestly he might pass away soon, but if he does at least he'll pass away warm and loved instead of being thrown out while he's still alive...

He has really bad swim bladder (I think) he can swim from the surface, he'll try really hard but just float back up on his side...

He's really pale and stressed.

He's paper thin, I can like see right through him...

I have him in a 1.5 gallon tank, heated to 80 degrees, with a big leafy plant for him to rest on. Is there anything at all I can do for him??

Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #2 
Miharu
Banned

Anyone???
Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Looks like swim bladder issues. Fast him for a little, keep him warm and do frequent water changes.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #4 
vaygirl

Keep the lights low to help with stress, let him rest and be still for a while. You could lower the water level too.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #5 
Miharu
Banned

I Lowered the water level by about a 1/3, hes colored up a little. Its dark in my room so thats good, I added a small amount of aquarium salt to help with stress and to help boost his immune system. I really wish I had some IAL right now He's colored up a bit, and he's still alive. I'll be really surprised if he makes it through the night, but I really hope he does!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If you have Epsom salt 1tsp/gal you may want to use that instead of the aquarium salt...good that you lowered the water level-you may even want to cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air warm and humid for the labyrinth....also, got any oak trees, if so, gather some naturally dried and fallen from the tree and use them...99% the same as IAL-that all I use with my fish-just make sure they are pesticide free-also, if he wants to eat I would feed him small amounts.
He is a pretty fella btw...good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #7 
Miharu
Banned

Ooo oaks leaves? Really? Thats awesome! Theres an oak trees right next to my house!! I will definitely do the veggie wrap, great idea! I don't know if he could even eat if he wanted to, he has so much trouble just trying to move!

Thank you so much!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #8 
Fermin

Aww good luck with the little man. He's lovely and I hope with your care he pulls through.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #9 
Miharu
Banned

Ok so I decided to name him Legend! My weird train of though leading to that name is this, I was watching I am Legend, its about zombie type creatures, zombies are the living dead, he's more dead then alive right now... So I named him Legend

Legend is moving around a little bit more then he was earlier. I have officially had him for about 6 hours and he's better then when I bought him so that gives me a little hope.

I put some plastic wrap over his tank like oldfishlady suggested, before I go to sleep I'm going to give him a small water change and add 1.5 tsp of epsom salt.

Do you guys think some quick cute (methalyne (sp?) blue) would help at all?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #10 
Miharu
Banned

Just a quick update on legend before I go to sleep. He's much more colorful, still can't swim and has kind of wedged himself upright behind the heater, I feel so bad for him! I wish there was more I could do! If he's still alive in the mornng I'm going to give him a full water change and add some oak leaf and more epsom salt! Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Legend, please!