Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Betta Toys

Harlequin is such a curious fellow and I'd love to give him a toy to explore/play with. What's a good idea for a betta toy?
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #2 
FishyFriend1

BETTA LOG!
Pingpong balls to float in the tank
Sea monkeys from those walmart kits.... there just regular live brine shrimp.
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #3 
kholder

I've often wondered how my bettas would like this:

And I think this looks like fun:

I don't know about bettas wanting "toys" and playing, but they seem like inquistive little fellows. My guy seems to love exploring.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I bought a rainbow rock cave at Wal Mart. My Betta adores swimming in and out of the holes! He's never gotten stuck, and he's a pretty big guy. (3/4 of in inch at the biggest part of his body from belly to back)
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 
akjadestar

Betta logs are supposed to be great! I've heard great things about them and I've never had one myself but I also know that when I put floating plants in my tank Churro is reaaaally happy...
The tree root decoration is pretty but you should check it out in real life to see because it could have some small holes where they can get themselves stuck, and there might be some sharp parts...
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
Betta logs are supposed to be great! I've heard great things about them and I've never had one myself but I also know that when I put floating plants in my tank Churro is reaaaally happy...
The tree root decoration is pretty but you should check it out in real life to see because it could have some small holes where they can get themselves stuck, and there might be some sharp parts...
I TOTALLY agree with the floating plants. My Betta lives for his plants. lol
Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #7 
kholder

In my shallower tank, where the plants (fake) stick up and kind of lay over the water, it is amazing to see my guy come up, over and through them for food. Evidently (excuse my ignorance) they are built for that.

I am considering lowering the water in my ten gallon so I can accomplish this in that tank as well. What do you think? Of course, this limits the volume in which he can swim as well as probably calling for more frequent water changes.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
In my shallower tank, where the plants (fake) stick up and kind of lay over the water, it is amazing to see my guy come up, over and through them for food. Evidently (excuse my ignorance) they are built for that.

I am considering lowering the water in my ten gallon so I can accomplish this in that tank as well. What do you think? Of course, this limits the volume in which he can swim as well as probably calling for more frequent water changes.
I would recommend making a hill out of gravel and anchoring the plants at the top. They also make long plants made to cover both vertically and horizontally. Here's a link to show you what I mean. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754563

You can look at the customer reviews to see how it looks in other peoples tanks. =)
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #9 
kholder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I would recommend making a hill out of gravel and anchoring the plants at the top. They also make long plants made to cover both vertically and horizontally. Here's a link to show you what I mean. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754563

You can look at the customer reviews to see how it looks in other peoples tanks. =)

Can you believe your link took me to the PetsMart home page and not the product? I wonder if they've done this on purpose. I just plugged in the product code in your link -- 2754563 -- and it took me right to it.

Great idea also. Says it's 36 inches long..wow...that would be perfect in my ten gallon.

I have a problem viewing this faux plants in real life because they seem incredibly, obviously fake. I need to try to remember how much better they would look in a tank.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
Can you believe your link took me to the PetsMart home page and not the product? I wonder if they've done this on purpose. I just plugged in the product code in your link -- 2754563 -- and it took me right to it.

Great idea also. Says it's 36 inches long..wow...that would be perfect in my ten gallon.

I have a problem viewing this faux plants in real life because they seem incredibly, obviously fake. I need to try to remember how much better they would look in a tank.
Did you look at the photos in the customer reviews? They totally look real in the tank. Here, look.

It's the huge one, obviously. It looks plenty real to me.