Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #1 
shinybetta

Tub Pond

Well, my 20 gallon gourami tank will have to be held off, but..... I am probably getting a tub pond! I'm thinking 100 gallons or so. Planted with duckweed, hornwort, and anything growing in my local natural ponds. I'm thinking a feeder goldfish or two, and a lot of rosy minnows. Maybe tad-poles as well. I will grow plants around it to. It will be completely submerged in the ground. It will be a permanent outside pond as where I live the water doesn't get much colder than 65 outside, which is fine with the minnows and goldies. It will be in a slightly shaded area so it doesn't overheat in the summer.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #2 
JKfish

Good idea, though you should know the common goldfish/feeder fish will get huge. I've got a koi pond outside, and we have three goldfish that started off the size of my thumbnail. Now, five years later they're half a foot long.

If you have it outside, only introduce tadpoles native to where you live so you're not introducing invasive species.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Well, I thought my dad would say no to anything but a tub pond. Apparently not, as after telling my dad We were going to have a tub pond. He said no. Then he said "Not a tub pond, an actual pond". I was like:! It will be as much as we can dig in three days or so. I think it may be over a thousand gallons, if we dig that much. I may also add some white clouds, and possibly a newt.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

That is really cool you get to do that ~!
:D
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #6 
JKfish

:D Awesome. Though, what I have to say is research. Make sure you get good quality lining, and that the hole you dig is well dug so when it rains there is no bubbles of mud underneath your lining.... My dad and I dug the pond out back, just the two of us with a shovel each... but we've had to re-do it completely 4 times (once because it was too small, once because the lining ripped, once because the erosion, and once because we decided we could do better) because of mistakes.... there was this one time when it rained really hard and mud slid into the hole underneath the lining and the pond was in horrible condition >.< Lemme tell you, digging all that stuff up and out again to re-do it that third time was *not* fun.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote