Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #1 
Red and Bob

Beginner plants

I've never dealt with live aquatic plants, never had a planted tank. What plants would you recommend I get and how do I maintain a planted tank?
Red and Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Java moss and java fern are the best for beginners.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #3 
GravityKitty

So are Anubias, they're really easy, too. Just make sure you don't bury the rhizome. Moss balls are easy, too. I have some Pennywort right now and it seems to be taking pretty good care of itself as well.
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

D: Where did you get Pennywort?!?!? I want some so bad! D: It grows out of water and looks so magical! D:

Anacharis is a great fast-growing low-light plant. =] It's great for beginners because it gets its nutrients from the water column and not the substrate. =]

Wisteria, Water Sprite, and Hornwort are good starters too. =]

You'll want a 6,500 K (aka Daylight) CFL bulb for your tank. Either in the hood or in a lamp above/directed at your lamp. =]

2 watts per gallon is a rule of thumb but often times the plants I listed do well in lighting conditions under that. =]

Also if your tank gets plenty of indirect sunlight or a bit of direct sunlight each day then things should be fine without special lighting. =]

Good luck with your plants! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #5 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
D: Where did you get Pennywort?!?!? I want some so bad! D: It grows out of water and looks so magical! D:

Anacharis is a great fast-growing low-light plant. =] It's great for beginners because it gets its nutrients from the water column and not the substrate. =]

Wisteria, Water Sprite, and Hornwort are good starters too. =]

You'll want a 6,500 K (aka Daylight) CFL bulb for your tank. Either in the hood or in a lamp above/directed at your lamp. =]

2 watts per gallon is a rule of thumb but often times the plants I listed do well in lighting conditions under that. =]

Also if your tank gets plenty of indirect sunlight or a bit of direct sunlight each day then things should be fine without special lighting. =]

Good luck with your plants! =]
Just something for a person new to planted tanks to consider: while hornwort and anacharis are excellent growers and look fantastic, if they become unhappy they can quickly shed their leaves and make a mess of ones tank. If you want to try them, maybe start with a single strand of hornwort and see how it does, and you can always add more. :)
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote