Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #1 
jaywohl

Please help my Betta. 1st timer

I have a 7 month old Betta that I house in a 5 gallon Eclipse tank with filter & heater set at 78. I bought a cory cat the same time I bought the Betta. The cat died about 2 weeks ago. My Betta started lying on the bottom of the tank & now has not eaten for about a week. I keep thinking I will find him dead in the morning, but he keeps hangin on. I've treated the water with aquarium salt & have been using Melafix for the last 5 days. I've read about not getting the dead fish out quick enough, maybe it is bacteria. I've heard of depression as well. Any remedies or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay
jaywohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You are using a water conditioner, correct? How often do you do water changes? Is the tank cycled? If the tank isn't cycled, it could be causing your fish a lot of stress.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

Same questions as above post.
and You should probably seperate him into some type of bowl or cup for his treatment as well
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta is not doing well.....need some more information

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one.....until then I would start making some daily 50% water changes for several days and see if that won't perk him up-make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water and use a good dechlorinator with all water added to his tank if on city water supply...keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #5 
jaywohl

Please help my sick Betta

I appreciate your replies, but I don't see any answers. Of course I have done all the obvious, water changes, conditioned water, cycled tank, etc.etc.etc. He is still hanging on, hasn't eaten for a week & still just lies on the bottom. Does anybody know of any medication besides Melafix. I have been using that for almost a week.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 
fishman12

You could do Epsom Salt baths. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but OldFishLady does, you could private message her. I think Melafix is bad for bettas. Not sure though. What conditioner are you using? The more questions you answer, the more replies with help will come in. Answer the questions, please.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

Melafix and bettafix can be extremely harmful to bettas. Melafix (Melaleuca 1.0%) can strain your fish's labyrinth organ, which allows him to breathe. In fact, I've used it before...in combination with what happened to my tank, it helped the process of killing my fish in under 10 hours. To be honest, I would stop using it. Start doing some water changes like OFL said - she's one of the smartest and educated members (now moderator!) in the forum community. Medication for something this minor isn't the way to treat a fish...in fact, using medication is a last-ditch effort for trying to help a betta, not the first.

Oh, and by the way, I'm pretty sure you would get more answers if you actually answered the questions stickied in this forum [Betta Fish diseases and Emergencies]. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #8 
Ademsoar

First off, you need to test the water that you are using. I ran into the same problem a while back with introducing otos into the tank and then my fish got sick. I noticed it was a parasite and fixd the problem immediately but yours seems like it may be something internal. Right off the bat I would suggest using an epsom salt bath and like previously stated Oldfishlady is an expert on the how to part. You also need to fill this out asap unless you want your fish to die, take 5 mins please to do it.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Ademsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #9 
jaywohl

Hello, other members responded with suggestions of an epsom salt bath for my sick Betta. They all say you are the one to ask how to do this. Can you advise? Thanks, Jay
Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are you making water changes in the 5gal filtered tank, what other fish/livestock are in the tank....I see from your post that you had a recent death in the tank...did you make a water changes when you removed the dead fish, if not, you need to make some back to back 50% water changes to help rid the tank of the ammonia that decaying fish can produce...often the best treatment is a water change...fresh, clean, dechlorinated, like temp water.......if after making several daily 50% water changes don't perk him up.....then I would QT and treat....but first we need some more information on what is going on with him now-lethargic, bloat, no appetite...etc........keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote