Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #11 
JLovesBettas

That could be true. But then why is he loosing his tail?
JLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #12 
jessiepbg

Someone correct me if this isn't a good thing to do, but when I hit some really bad ammonia levels in my tank, I bought some of those ammonia removing tablets they sell for ponds. I chopped a tablet down to a proper dose for a small tank and dropped it in. It kept my boy safe long enough for me to get water warmed up enough for a change(about a day). Wait for a more experienced member to say whether this is a safe solution before trying it though, I have no idea if there are any long-term consequences or other reasons no one's suggested it yet.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #13 
Creat

I have heard nothing good in a aquarium happens quickly... I think your betta still has a chance he just needs time. If you really are desperate for other water I would go to the store and ask if they can just give you a container full even that would help cycle the tank if that is the problem if not there are always kind fish keepers lurking that would help you.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #14 
FuulieQ

He could be biting his tail.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #15 
JD3P

I don't personally think you should euthanize your betta right now. It just seems that your water quality is very bad and that is the reason. If he was moved into better water he would probably heal and be okay. That's my justification for saying no, don't kill him. My solution to your problem would be one of two things.
First if you can afford it get the water from a jug like suggested and fill up your tank, and use a dechlorinator. Also as suggested get some live plants that will absorb bad nutrients (the fast growing ones). Hook up your filter with a new cartridge and every week do a 20 percent water change. That shouldn't be a lot of water if you only do it once a week. But I understand if you can't afford it.
On that note my second suggestion would be to find someone quickly with experience or at least willingness to care for your fish to adopt him. I feel really bad that your fish has to go through this and that you have no way of fixing it. If I could help take in your fish for you I would, but I have no idea where you are or if transporting him is a good idea.
As for the cycling of the tank, maybe you should reconsider it altogether for now for the sake of your fish. Is there anyone's camera you can borrow to get a shot of his fins?
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #16 
Adastra

If your water naturally has ammonia in it, then you don't need the fish to cycle it. I would put the fish in an alternate container, such as a rubbermaid bin, or other temporary container and use R/O water with a remineralizer until your aquarium has cycled using the ammonia in your tap water. It will not cost you $100 a month unless all the pet stores around you are from another planet, in another galaxy, where RO/DI units are fueled by diamonds, hahaha.

At most pet stores, the way it works is they sell you a 5 gallon jug and charge you $15 for it the first time. You don't have to use their jugs, either, you could get one off of craigslist or freecycle. Every refill after that is about $0.75. So if you had a 3G rubbermaid bin you kept your fish in and did a 100% water change every 4 days for a month, the water itself would be less than $10. You would have to get a remineralizer like Seachem Equilibrium, which is about $8 at a pet store. The most money you will have to spend is around $30, if you buy the jug, and the remineralizer, plus a month's worth of water. The next month after that would be less than $10.

I think you really need to investigate more alternatives before you euthanize the poor guy. If you live in an area that has some clubs or aquarium societies, you could probably get RO water for free from a saltwater or discus keeper. They usually have their own RO/DI units at home, and in my experience aquarium society people are really super nice.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #17 
JLovesBettas

Thanks for the help. I will try to get him into a different tank. I am so glad to hear that there are options.

Last edited by JLovesBettas; 12-13-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #18 
JLovesBettas

Just noticed a brown string hanging out from where he poos. It has a white spot at the end. Could this be a parasite or is he constipated.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #19 
JLovesBettas

Here is a video. http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m...7.mp4&newest=1
He also does have orange red eyes.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #20 
Adastra

That can be a strong indication that he has intestinal parasites. Luckily, those are very treatable and fish usually respond very well to medication. I recommend a dissolving tablet medication with the ingredients praziquantel and metronidazole. I have had success with Jungle Parasite Clear, but if the pet store doesn't have that brand, just check the ingredients for what I listed earlier. With treatment it usually clears up in about a week.

He's very pretty and he looks like he's doing really well, actually. Just needs some TLC and dewormer. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote