Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #11 
Kytte

As for Water conditioner I have Tamsco Zip drops Instant chlorine and chloramine remover, which I treated the water with. The food I was given for the fish is in pellet form, but beyond that I only now it has been written on the plastic bag that it is Betta fish food. I give him about 3 pellets a day. I have only had him three days so maybe he is just still stressed and thats why he isn't eating. He doesn't even seem to notice when I drop the food in. Surely even if it was the wrong food he would go to investigate?
Kytte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #12 
Sweeda88

It's the right food, but he's probably recovering from being in that ornament. Bettas NEED to breathe oxygen at the surface, and he probably was nearly suffocating, seeing as how little are probably got into that thing. Also, make sure you keep the water very clean. It will speed his recovery.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #13 
scootshoot

Glad you found this site. The fact you searched on the web means you want to be a good owner for your betta....

Lastly this is not directed at you. I can't believe some store sold a betta in an ornament like that for a quick buck, sheesh! And your friend probably meant well and is passing on the wrong information to you from the feedback he got from the arse who sold him that betta ornament.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #14 
Kytte

Well... actually the friend who gave it to me works at a pet-store and he was the one that put it in the ornament, and yes he was wrong about a lot of things, but I think he was relying on information they told him at the pet-store, because he is not the type to ever intentionally hurt anything. He is uninformed not unkind.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #15 
Jupiter

Well, it takes time for bettas to adjust to their surroundings, so he's probably still adjusting. Some take up to a week or more to accept food, so don't worry. Just keep offering it to him and take out what he doesn't eat.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #16 
Waterbottle2

Hi, and grats on the betta he's beautiful
I have a few suggestiond that you may find helpful and I truely understand the no pets allowed so you need to have a small aquarium no problem. If you plan on upgrading and want a small aquarium to hide, walmart sells a little cube aquarium it comes with air pump whisper filter light for like 16bucks it 1.5gallons. They also sell like 2.5g hawkeyes which are pretty small aswell.

I would recommend investing in a nice water conditioner and I use a hydor mini heater pad in my females 1.5 gallon (yes i got anotherone lol) i have 10g being setup eventaully for her. Anyways the heater keeps the temp stable between like 76-80 for me anyways it was like... 8-11 bucks I forget

goodluck
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #17 
Kytte

Well thanks for all your guys help, but sadly I wont be able to use any of your wonderful advice for Firestorm, because when I went to check on him tonight he was dead. :( I only had him for three days but I feel horrible. Anyway thanks. Maybe I will get another Betta, but I am not sure I will be brave enough to break the rules by buying a pet, instead of just being given one.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #18 
ilovebunnies

sorry to hear about your loss
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #19 
Jupiter

Sorry about Firestorm! You tried your best. :(
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #20 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytte View Post
Well thanks for all your guys help, but sadly I wont be able to use any of your wonderful advice for Firestorm, because when I went to check on him tonight he was dead. :( I only had him for three days but I feel horrible. Anyway thanks. Maybe I will get another Betta, but I am not sure I will be brave enough to break the rules by buying a pet, instead of just being given one.
It's all good. Even the most avid fish lovers have lost their pets, particularly when they started out in the hobby. Mishaps happen, sometimes you are unable to control the end result regardless of what you do as the Betta may have already hit an irreversible down cycle and his immune system is just unable to recover.

You do have yourself a nice tank and the fact you came here for advice is another step in the right direction. Don't let the present loss hold you back in an attempt to rescue another betta in the future.

Happy Holidays!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote