Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #1 
Colibri

Septicemia?

Hello everybody.

I'm really sad and worried because Deltan, my favorite one, woke up with a really red tail. I don't know what happened. We was healthy and perfectly fine yesterday. I was going to breed him today so I put him yesterday night in the breeding tank (5 gallon, heated) and as I woke up I saw his tail was completely red and starting to torn. He was laying on the bottom on one of his sides and was looking weak. His other fins were red also. I'm so desperate, I don't want to loose him. I took him to a friend of mine who is an "aquarist" and knows a lot about fish, he told me he has septicemia. Will he get over it? I don't get what happened! Everything was normal, the breeding tank was perfect... how could it happened and why so fast? Please, someone help.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon, but he lives on a 2.5 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 26C normally, 28C on the breeding tank.
Does your tank have a filter? The breeding tank doesn't, his tank is filtered.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes, both.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, he's all by himself.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Brine shrimp, mosquito larva, Azoo micro-pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Three times a day small portions.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 3-4 days 50% and I siphon the bottom, the breeding tank had 2 days aged water.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and siphon the bottom.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? It's called Neutra-Strees.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:-
Nitrite:-
Nitrate:-
pH:-
Hardness:-
Alkalinity:-

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, his fins are really red.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems very lethargic, is breeding heavily and lying on one of his sides.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? It's an antibiotic made of Erythromycin.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has always had little red dots on his tail fin edges that appear every now and then but I always treat them with a substance I have here (perganmanato de potasio).
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 8 months old, maybe younger.

This was him just two days ago.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #2 
Drift

I never herd of Septicemia in a fish before. So I decided to look it up. I came across this website that was pretty informative. I would say it does look a lot like it. =/
http://www.nippyfish.net/septicemia.html
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #3 
rooroober

wow! never heard of that before! I am so sorry! I hope he gets better!
rooroober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #4 
Creat

never heard of it either... but I agree with Drift it does look like it except they said it happens when there is an open wound and the blood gets infected... I think you might have noticed the wound... in any case sorry I cant be of more help I hope he gets better

Last edited by Creat; 12-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 
Colibri

Thank you everyone for your good wishes! I hope OFL or Adastra can give me some advice with this... I want him to get better so badly, he's my little prince and I really don't understand what happened to him.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 
Adastra

Unfortunately bettas can be very prone to these kinds of infections because their delicate fin tissue is so easily injured and infected. Given the streaking and the extreme change in behavior, the prognosis is grim. Septicemia is an infection of the blood, which can kill very quickly. With or without treatment, this is very likely to be fatal.

Even if you put him on a broad spectrum antibiotic at the beginning that would not increase his chances all that much because antibiotics are a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they suppress the growth of bacteria so the body's immune system has a better chance of overcoming it--but antibiotics also put a lot of pressure on the fish's organs, and if they're already very weak, even with the help of the medication they're unlikely to recover. Antibiotics are also very difficult to use correctly--since we cannot identify the pathogen, we are blindly giving medication that may not even be targeted to eliminating the bacteria at all. Erythromycin, for instance, is for gram positive bacteria. The majority of bacterial infections in fish like bettas are caused by gram negative bacteria, including most septicemia cases--so your antibiotic is not particularly effective against this disease.

Do your very best to make the fish comfortable, and continue the erythromycin treatment as the packaging instructs you. Lower the water level, dim the light, and give him as much peace as you can. Lowering the temperature may help delay the progress of the bacteria, but that is likely just delaying the inevitable at this point. Try not to check on him too much sot that he can rest. Sadly, at this point it is unlikely that the poor man will make a miraculous recovery.

Does he show any interest in food?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #7 
Colibri

! That breaks my heart, but I really hope he makes it. No, he's not showing much interest in food right now. He has a mosquito larva in his tank but he's not willing to eat it. He ate 3 last night happily (as always) in the breeding tank. The packaging says that it works for this disease and another 2. I need to do the treatment for 3 days.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #8 
Adastra

There is a gram positive "cocci" septicemia form, and a gram negative "rod" septicemia form. Unfortunately we can't really take out our microscopes and figure out which one the poor guy has. It's a pity we can't all be doctors.

I hope the EM will work, but there's no way to really tell which form he's got, and gram negative infections tend to be more common. :( Fingers are crossed for your little guy, but you should prepare yourself for the worst.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #9 
Colibri

I just went to see him and his fins are looking less red, some parts are back to their natural color, he's still lying on one of his sides but I'm noticing he's moving from spot to spot on the bottom of the tank. Is still breathing heavily, though. I talked to him for a while telling him everything's going to be alright and I know he heard me. ! Thank you Adastra for your wishes. I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

I hope the poor little guy get better! <:[

<3 Lots of love and best wishes for him and you! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
septicemia