Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #1 
Creat

Question Espom Salt uses?

So I have heard that effects on Espom salt havent been tested long term on fish but I know that it is a common remedy here. I havent ever heard of it being used before so if someone could clarify its uses I would be most grateful :) cause I recently picked up a giant container for like 3 bucks at a super center lol
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #2 
JKfish

it works like aquarium salt, it helps heal, good plant fertilizers, it can be used to help clear a constipated betta's system, etc.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 
Creat

ok thank you ^^
Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #4 
chippy0047

the best use for epsom salt i have found it to kill the betta. just add 3 table spoons to the water let it evaporate and add in 3 more table spoons for each water change.
chippy0047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is good for symptom of edema/swelling type problems that can be seen with bloat, popeye, dropsy...it will also work as a laxative...it has a antibacterial/fungal effects as well

Short term use is recommend, however, I have used it long term in low doses for aquarium plant food without any issue.

Good starting dose for swelling, bloat, constipation, popeye, dropsy symptoms is 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal-with popeye and dropsy I increase to 2tsp/gal on day 3 of a 10 day treatment and 3tsp/gal with pineconning

If 2-3tsp/gal used it is best to also do a slow decrease of salt once the treatment is completed to 1tsp/gal for a full 24 hours before placing back in freshwater

Making 100% daily water changes along with the Epsom salt is also important for full effect of the treatment in general.

Adding tannins can also be helpful by using Indian almond leaf or Oak leaf

Correct dosage can be made easier if you pre-mix the salt, tannins, dechlorinator in a 1gal jug-this will steep the leaves and dissolve the salts and ease the daily water change routine

Treatment is best when done in QT
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #6 
Creat

Thank you i was curious because I had never heard of it before. Does it work better or the same as other medications? Do you prefer it over something else?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #7 
sayurasem

dear oldfish lady: whats the difference between epsom and aquarium salt? btw what is epsom salt? (normal table salt?)
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I only use natural treatments by choice, I haven't used OTC medication for a really long time due to the natural treatment working as good, as fast- if not better with this species of fish without the harshness on the fish, environment, self...etc.... that can often go along with the OTC meds use-

Regardless of what method you use- it takes time....there is no magic pill...both take time to work and to see results...

Natural, I have found also has less rebound effect as well as resistant issues when used properly...wrong dosage and duration of either can sometime do more harm than good....
for me it is more of a personal choice and I see nothing wrong with OTC antibiotics/meds/treatment/pesticides and sometimes they may be the only thing that will work in some cases-I just have never had them to work any better than the natural treatment/methods

Not all fish species can tolerate either epsom salt or aquarium salt-so its not a cure-all for every species...

Natural can't do everything-just as OTC products can't...some problems we see in fish nothing can/will work

Salts treat the symptom and may not cure the fish of the root cause of the disease but often neither will OTC meds

When natural treatment are used as with anything- if it is not effect within a reasonable time line and different treatment needs to be tried

The very best treatment is prevention-much easier to prevent than to treat

Freshwater fish thrive with fresh water-if the environment is sick the fish will be too
To be a successful fish keeper you must first be a keeper of water

Salts alone are not the cure-success also is with water changes and tannins among other things

Sayurasem-
Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate)
Aquarium salt (Sodium Chloride)
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote