Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 
ESalvi

Bloated Betta, Please help! :(

Hi all. I need help diagnosing my Betta, Red. He is not doing well, and he has been like this for a few days... im wondering if there is any hope for him, or if i should euthanize him to end his suffering. He has been floating at the top of his bowl for twp days with a very bloated belly. He is still alive and struggles to swim around, but his belly is keeping him from doing so. He tries to swim down into the bowl, but immediately floats to the top. Its like his belly is a balloon or something. I looked up some cures for bloated belly... I did 100% water change and added epsom salt. I also tried the pea idea, but he wont eat it. How do you get them to eat the pea? He looks so uncomfortable, i wish i could do something for him. I dont think he has Dropsy. His scales, and color are fine. Im also an avid user of aquarium salt, so i dont think its a parasite either. What else besides constipation can cause this?

Also, if it comes time to euthanize... what are some humane ways of doing it? I dont know if i can actually go through with it, but if this continues and doesnt get any better, i dont think i have a choice.
Please help my boy, Red!
ESalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I wouldnt euthinize him yet.. I dont know, they can come back from this sort of thing. My betta has been bloated a few times (though not huge) and has come back from feeling pretty gross. He never lost color or had signs of dropsy.
A picture would be helpful! <3
How much food do you give him? If he's been eating too much, he might be bloated and just needs a good poop. (Really, no joke!) Ive heard very mixed reviews on the pea thing.. I'd just keep changing his water, fast him for a while and *keep his tank warm. If its too cold, his metabolism will slow significantly and he'll retain what he eats and become bloated.
Im sure someone else might have more experience with this and/or knows about the pea thing, hopefully they'll come along.
Good luck, I hope things work out well for you two :c <3 Dont give up hope.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Pic would be helpful
How big is his tank, how much and how often on the water changes, water temp, additives used, filtration, live plants, how long have you had him?

How much Epsom salt did you use?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #4 
ESalvi

I do 50% water changes once a week, and 100% on the weekends, Sat or Sunday.
Red is in a 3 gallon bowl.. and i put a teaspoon on epsom salt in.
The current temp in his bowl is 82 degrees. I have a heater and keep good track of temperature.
He had live plants in his bowl, but i took them out yesterday.. they were starting to die, and when i cleaned his bowl out, i threw them away.
Ive only had him about 6 months. He is always very active and seemed very happy. The day before this happened, he was his normal self.
He is a big fan of bloodworms, and thats pretty much all he eats.. once or twice a week i give him brine shrimp for a change up... he LOVES brine shrimp, but i heard it can be unhealthy for a betta if they eat too much of it.
He doesnt really eat anything else.. i tried flake food and pellets for a while, but he doesnt eat them. I heard that bloodworms can prevent constipation, which is why im confused and am wondering if it could be something else.
I will definitely try to take a picture or video.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #5 
ESalvi

i just tried to take a picture, but its hard to see his belly. I have to say that he seems slightly more active.. maybe the epsom salt is helping.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I would QT him in a smaller container and float it in your heated 3gal tank and use Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days-hold all food for 3-4 days and then offer half the normal feeding of a frozen, live, pellet or flake food...no freeze dried food....this may be part of the problem-also I would stop the aquarium salt and only use this for treatments-long term use can sometimes cause kidney problems and you will see bloat related to kidney failure.

I like to pre-mix my Epsom salt water (dechlorinated) in a clean 1gal jug to help make correct dosage and water changes easier-if you have Indian almond leaf add this or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-I use 10-12 crushed per gallon of Epsom salt 1tsp/gal water and allow to steep for at least 1 hours before use
If no improvement after 2 days increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal-I use up to 3tsp/gal in some cases depending on the whats/whys.....
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #7 
ESalvi

Thanks a lot. Ill definitely take your advice. Last time i took your advice, my fish, Pony, got better and he is the best fish ever! My avatar is a pic of Pony. Hopefully Red gets better. I havent had him that long and would hate to lose him. When i change the water again tomorrow, i will stop with the aquarium salt and add more epsom. I dont have indian almond leaf. I think you suggested this last time i had a problem and i went looking for it, but couldnt find the leaf anywhere. But, i will try again. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear that Pony got better....good job.....

Indian almond leaf I think you have to get/order on-line-most pet shops don't carry it....I like to use native oak leaf...its 99% the same as IAL and its Free...lol...my favorite price...lol.....you want naturally fallen and dried from the tree-crush and use......just make sure it is pesticide free....and remove and replace weekly......good luck and keep us posted....
Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #9 
ESalvi

i actually just bought this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/ONUTR-ATISONS-...2285665&sr=8-1

i also bought this healthy betta medication to help with bloating. it was cheap. i should get it in two days. hopefully he can hold out that long!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #10 
ESalvi

quick update: my fish is pretty much back to normal. he went from being bloated and floating on his side, practically dead to swimming around like a happy fish and interacting with me like normal... however, i noticed something today... his eyes are red. i dont know when this happened.. i definitely didnt notice it yesterday. could this be the beginning stages of popeye? and if so, can i treat it with the epsom salt instead of getting antibiotics? i heard they can be really harsh on bettas.

Tags
bloated, stomach