Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #11 
vaygirl

You can try pm'ing Adastra or Oldfishlady and see if they could give you more suggestions. They know a lot about fish emergencies.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #12 
BettaRed

the burns or whatever they are seem to be spreading..... i need help!
BettaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #13 
BettaRed

I guess I'm going to kill him since theres 100 views but no real replies... he's in really bad condition!
BettaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #14 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaRed View Post
I guess I'm going to kill him since theres 100 views but no real replies... he's in really bad condition!
There's a reason for that. A lot of people haven't seen a betta in that horrible of a condition and a lot of people don't want to give you wrong advice. We're all trying to help you here, just change the water. Take out all of the plants and anything sharp, but put a mug in there or something so he can hide.

Do a 100% water change with water conditioner..make sure its the same temperature and when you add the water it's already treated before you put your fish in it. Make sure your conditioner takes out heavy metals as well. Do not use any Ph down or up or any other additives at this point. I do recommend the stuff I use, Kordon Fish Protect to relieve some stress.

I'm not sure if it's a good recommendation, but I wouldn't put any salt in there for now until OFL can get in here. Send OldFishLady a PM. Just make sure his water is at a comfortable temperature (76-80F) and keep his tank dark and out of the light. Wrap a towel around it if you need to so he can relax.

EDIT: Can you please link us the site you got the information to put sea salt into his tank? I kind of want to read their "information".

Last edited by Tsuhei; 12-13-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #15 
kfish

Sounds like this to me....

http://www.firsttankguide.net/furcoat.php

I'm sorry about your fish. :(
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #16 
PewPewPew

I'm pretty sure theyre just burns from the salt.. I feel bad for him, let us know what happens :,c <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #17 
Busted

To me It looks like ammonia burns, I would 100% change the water, and throughly clean the bowl before adding him back. Being in small bowl, I would also do 50-75% water changes daily. Excessive moving can reduce his slime coat. I would also recommend use of a stress coat like API Stress Coat. Also discontinue use of the melafix, I was told not to use it on Betta, and if you use the API stress coat it helps with healing, slime coat, and stress. What temperature is your bowl at? Needs to be 78-82*F from what I'v read. He might be able to bounce back from this, maybe more of the experienced members will chime in.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #18 
TaylorW

Quote:
I don't know how to treat a fish like this even though I have looked over the thread several times, which is why I never replied. I am sure this is why other members haven't replied either. But don't give up on your fish!

I do know that too much salt can cause organ failure, but you won't know for sure until he's been if fresh water for awhile. I definitely would toss the melafix and white spot medication, melafix can mess up the labyrinth organ and white spot/ick medicines are usually overly strong and those illnesses can usually be treated without medicine.

I would also do very frequent water changes, at least 100% daily or 50% twice daily. A heater would boost his metabolism and immune system. That's pretty much all I can tell you.

I am sorry about the sea salt/aquarium salt mix up...
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #19 
meeka

I don't know if this will help out your poor little guy but maybe you could try some sachem stress guard. It may sooth the burns he has from the sea salt. I ve brought from this site before and they are really good.

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index....oducts_id=1026

Also, I live on the gold coast and i still have a heater in my aquarium. Try the Eheim jager ones, they are great.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #20 
Feral

Quote:
These are VERY tough little fish as far as surviving and coming back from bad conditions- I hope you'll try to revive him 'cause you may very well be surprised at his recuperative powers.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote