Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #21 
BettaRed

His burns spread to pretty much his WHOLE body, and by spread I mean they were spreading insanely fast! his fins had basically ALL deteriorated, he ended up lying on the bowl floor on his side, seemingly gasping for air.... i am very sure these were salt burns and i'm pretty sure he lost his sight due to this as well...
when he was desperate for air he dashed awkwardly to the surface and jumped 1/3rd out the water and then just floated at the top, slowly tilting vertical till he dropped to the bowl floor. he wouldn't eat food (obviously given his condition) and did not respond to outside influences outside the bowl (like my finger up against the glass [he would before!!]) or inside the bowl (dashing into the bowl and a silk leaf when rushing up to get air from the surface) but responded to the vibration/sound of tapping on the bowl, barely..
I just felt he was in way too much pain/trouble to let his bowl continue to get filled up with his fin particles and seeing his limpless body lying on the bowl floor gasping for air.... sometimes struggling up to the surface and falling back down. I just kept thinking of what the salt did/could have done to his insides if he had swallowed it and his poor sight (which i'm pretty sure he lost).

I ended up killing him as humanely possible- swiftly with blunt force trauma, however it was a very very sad experience and I miss my betta. I feel really stupid putting sea salt in the water after doing so much research about curing ICH and really don't understand why the top rated search results for fixing the condition yield results that advise using sea salt.......

I got a new betta fish, this time red, however I still miss my old betta. We had a little connection just staring at eachother while we were both getting ready to sleep..

Sorry for my ignorance and impatience,
BettaRed.
BettaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #22 
vaygirl

I'm really sorry. :( Best of luck with your new buddy.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote